Anyone know about zoa infections?

impur

I thought i would update this. I think i have finally won the battle. I have not lost any more frags, the declining polyps either dissolved away or fought off the fungus and are looking good again. Most of them lost a lot of color, but that is 100% better than losing the whole coral.

I did 2 Furan-2 dips 3 days apart. The frags went into 1.5cups RO water and 1 packet of Furan-2 for 20 min both times. Now i didn't dip every frag, i wanted a couple left undipped in the QT to see what would happen to them. The ones i did not frag had not shown much fungus on the polyps, only closed polyps for quite some time.

So here are some pics from the QT tonight. You can see the largest frag that had the most problematic polyps is looking way better.

100_0061.jpg

100_0062.jpg

100_0063.jpg

100_0064.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty excited about it. I'm gonna keep them in QT for another 3-4 weeks just in case. I've been doing 70-100% WCs with water from the display tank when i do that WC so its a piece of cake to keep this QT up.

I still have 3 or 4 frags of those dragon eyes that grow so well. They are real small now but they'll grow out. Its interesting to me that this fungus/bacteria went for that morph the most and did the most damage to those as well.

So do you feel it was fungus not bacteria? I missed the part about what kind of med Furan is. AntiFungal or antibacteria?

If it was bacteria or fungal, I would have thought the strong lugals would have been sufficent? Did you dip each one on the way over to the QT?

It looked like a fungus to me. It grew on the polyps and protruded out farther than the rest of the flesh of the polyp.

Furan-2 tablets are effective against a wide variety of gram positive and gram negative bacterial diseases for freshwater and saltwater fish. This medication will cause a harmless green color in the aquarium, which can be removed with activated carbon. This medication can be used in conjunction with Aquarium Pharmaceuticals anti-parasitic medications. This medication will not harm the biological filter in fresh or saltwater aquariums.

For treatment of: Dropsy, furunculosis, gill disease, fin and tail rot and black molly disease.

I've read its used to treat fungus in Discus as well.

Yesterday every single polyp was open, i am so happy. Color is coming back and i see some new polyps popping up!

Most of the things that people consider fungus in the aquarium are actually bacterial infections. The bacteria cause a white growth around the area and that is what most people think is a fungus. I know an icthyologist that deals in aquarium fish and he once told me that he had never actually seen a case of a fungal infection in an aquarium.