I just saw the coolest thing

ringwurm

I was walking into the fish room a few minutes after feeding a silverside to the anenome and I saw the big female clown carrying a silverside in her mouth! She went down to the bottom and grabbed the silverside which was 1/2 her size and carried it back up to the anenome. She then gave it a big throw towards the mouth and let go. It was the coolest thing to watch. It took her 4 tries to get the silverside to stick but she did it.

Next time I will have the camera ready to capture it.

I was walking into the fish room a few minutes after feeding a silverside to the anenome and I saw the big female clown carrying a silverside in her mouth! She went down to the bottom and grabbed the silverside which was 1/2 her size and carried it back up to the anenome. She then gave it a big throw towards the mouth and let go. It was the coolest thing to watch. It took her 4 tries to get the silverside to stick but she did it.

Next time I will have the camera ready to capture it.

This has been witnessed in the wild quite commonly and in the hobby sometimes...People think it is the fish's way of giving back to the anenome, for letting them hang out in it and it protecting them...It is the relationship.

my fire does somthing like this... but its more like the clown is chewing the food and the anemone just happens to be fast enough to catch it when it drops.

That fire clown is kind of a mean head

This just brought up a huge chunk of info. for me...in addition to what I said, it is still undecided if the clowns are feeding their host or if they are thinking they are storing it for later...

This is very cool, to see you are lucky to have witnessed it...(clap)

Both actions are very interesting to watch, and I really think its up the the fish, I have seen clowns take foods directly to the anemone an very obviously feed it. And I have also witnessed a few clowns take food and while chewing off chunks, accidently drop the food into anemone they are in (and seem to only have the food there as a place to eat it) and then take it right back and get a little upset that the anemone tried to steal it. And I have seen this in more than just my fire clown but in a pair of Clarkiis as well.

Maybe this action is something that a clown learns from its parents or other clowns. Just like young chimps learn to "fish" for termites.

well i think they are smart enough to know that if their anemone doesnt eat' date=' it starves, and there goes the protection.[/quote']

hehehe , it's very easy to attribute human qualities to our fish, but the reality is fish have no sentient perspective and no complex cognitive abilities. However I did see two talking fish in a Pixar movie once that i swear were real. :D