kh is low

lurch

So my zenia has been dying off and my duncan looks very sad. I tested my tank water and the kh is around 50 mg/l and the ph is 8.6. It's a 30 gallon tank so I did a 5 gallon water change one day, then a 10 gallon change the next. No change to the kh, so I started to add Kent Marine Superbuffer-dkh. I tested my saltwater mix and its about 5o mg/l also. Is that normal? Is dkh effected by lights like ph or do I have bad salt?

Sorry I dont know the conversion mg/L- I keep my KH around 10-11.

If you did a water change (2x) and still have what I presume (50mg/l) is a low KH, you may want to get someone else to check the levels with another test kit.

Your kit may be not reading correctly.

That Kent marine supper buffer is all of what it says "super buffer" and if you added that and saw no raise in KH then I would lean towards a bad test.

I've used the stuff and still have it around and it will certainly raise the KH especially in a 30 gallon.

I used to add 1/4 teaspoon in a 20 gallon and would take my KH from like 9 to 10+ easily

and KH is not effected by lights-and I would not think salt has anything to do with it but out of curiosity what salt and how old?

Do you test the salt mix after you make up your change water, if so whats the KH-I use Kent marine and at 1.025 SG my KH is 12 with Kent-FYI

The buffer was raising the dkh but I was worried it would raise the ph to high could that happen?

I dont recall without looking if it raises PH as well.

I know seachem or Kent has a PH buffer that wont raise higher than 8.3 and that product also raises KH.

From what I just read on my label of the supperbuffer dkh, its looking like it also will raise PH-I just breezed throught the label so you should check your self.

also I would not rule out the test kit being inaccurate- not sure what kit yo use, some are not reliable

Myself, I have after all the kits/brands I have tried, stopped after I got salifert

Well I bought some saltwater from from lfs earlier today just got home now to do water change decided to check salinity with my hydrometer the swing arm went all the way to the top. So I'm thinking my salinity might be way off in my tank. I'm going to check it at the store tomorrow before doing the water change.

You should get a water sample tested with a refractometer at the lfs or where ever and then put that sample in your hydrometer tap to get rid of bubbles and make sure you're swing hydrometer is correct if not make a mark on it where ever it is with the known sample mine and everyother one i've ever used has been off

Make sure the hydrometer didn't have air bubbles. I always tap them repeatedly as well as test multiple times.

OMG-Reefit tell me you are kidding-throw the hydrometer in the recycle bin-its not even worthy to give to someone-

Honestly "we" have way to much money invested to rely on a hydrometer.

Its like an 8 track compared to MP3 player, yes they both will play music but.....

Best analogy of the top of my head-You are probablly to young to know what an 8 track is- how about a reel to reel:D

OMG-Reefit tell me you are kidding-throw the hydrometer in the recycle bin-its not even worthy to give to someone-

Honestly "we" have way to much money invested to rely on a hydrometer.

Its like an 8 track compared to MP3 player, yes they both will play music but.....

Best analogy of the top of my head-You are probablly to young to know what an 8 track is- how about a reel to reel:D

lol, i use both. mine is very acurate as long as you go through the routine to make sure its that way. I use it mostly to do a quick check on my salt water mixing. i use my hydrometer on my tank tests.