Why do my heaters die so quickly?

ToxicPoison

I've had a few 500w titanium heaters and they all seem to die really quickly. My current heater is a Won-Bros, and it is only 4 months old and it died overnight. I've used Finnex heaters in the past with the same result. They are controlled with an Apex controller/temp probe, and plugged into the outlet with the 10amp relay and not the 5amp switch, though I've tried the 5amp outlets in the past. The odd thing is, the 300w backup heater I have in the sump in the basement has been going strong for about a year now. It does have it's own dedicated controller, whereas my main tank heater does not.

Does anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong? This is really driving me nuts...I can't believe I need to replace my heater every 4 months.

I habe the same issues with any heater 500 watt or above. I have dedicayed controllers and run multiple heaters. My sump is in the garage. Without heaters my tank will hiy the 60 's at night. I habe begun shoping getting ready for winter...

Buy Eheims Ebo-Jager. I have used countless and have never had one go bad. I sold probably 100 of them and never got one back.

Always smart to use multiple small heaters, if one fails ON you are less likely to cook the tank quickly. Giving you longer to discover the issue.