help with blue sea fan!

haywood

i feed it cyclop-eeze and baby brine shrimp. i also add iodide, coral-vite,and strontium and molybdenum. ph, temp and alk are all good. when i got it the whole tree was blue with all blue flowers on it. now their is some blue color and very little flowers.

i use the red sea pro salt... i thought sence i am running a skimmer those elements would be missing over time. i only add once a week! it is getting plenty of flow! haven't tried phyto or rotifers...might have to if things dont improve!! thanks for the help

have you tested for nitrates and phosphates?

I can't tell form the pic if the branches themselves was were blue or tan, with blue polyps. Do/did the polyps only come out of the blue tissue? if so, it doesn't look too good. Beautiful specimen. I probably would have bought it, too; but those non-photosynthetic gorgs can be tough.

I had one of those a while back (impulse buy) lasted for about two months.

I spot fed it alot with filter food and it still wasted away slowly. Did some research when I had it and all people said that they can't be kept alive for a long time.

I don't think it's your water parameters. Those corals need a constant supply of food to keep alive and absolutely minimal light if it is non-photosynthetic. The first problem was probably lighting. If it gets the smallest amount of algae on it's tissue the polyps cannot open. This is the reason why it needs darkness. The other reason was probably food. Like most marine organisms they feed constantly throughout the day. This one in particular gets stressed easily if it's requirements are not met. You can clean off the algae with a light brush. But the receding tissue is difficult to grow back. Sorry about your loss.

i do think you are right on the light problem! i think i had him to close to the lights...with the algae growing on the branches the tangs and the angle were more than likely nipping at him alot! it also could of been the seaweed strips! the fish would rip pieces of it off and it would collect on the branches as well! it all about placement!!! thanks