What's cool about being new? Everything in my tank amazes me!

Vicarious Cynic

Did some maintenance tonight - cleaned the protein skimmer and canister filter - added a bunch of new salt water to make up the difference. One of the heads of my candy cane is all clenched up - cool how green it gets when closed. I've got these stuck to the side of a rock about 6" from the top of the tank and they look healthy to me. Polyps out, nice wide spread when the lights are on - darker color when closed than when I brought them home.

Any good candy cane tips for me? (Other than "Don't use so much [language filter] epoxy next time!" - at least they're on there solid!)

30ebc0a6.jpg

Welcome to the club Vicarious Cynic. I like the name!(clap) Another Eugene member!(scratch) The Eugene crew is taking over...:eek:

According to Eric Borneman (Coral guru) "Indirect bright light and moderate current will allow for the best expansion and health of Caulastrea aka Candy cane.:D

I also hear candy cane corals grow like crazy if you buy a membership to the club...;)

Don't add salt water to make up for evaporation. Doing so will drive your salinity up. Only use salt water if you take out salt water in a water change. Otherwise add fresh (deionized or distiller) water to top off evaporation.

Candycanes are cool and they can grow fast. I like feeding mine freeze dried plankton or frozen mysis shrimp. It accelerates the growth.

Good luck

Dsoz

Thanks for the thoughts. Yea dsoz. I'm onto that. I emptied my protein skimmer, and my canister filter. I top off about 1/2 gallon of fresh every day or two.

I have two 24" t-5 ho lights. Both with a daylight and an actinic. They were a deal when liquid sunshine liquidated. Still would rather have the shop near downtown, but hey. At some point I'll upgrade to a 4' 4 bulb fixture. I'd like to add an amenone and a clam, but will wait for better light. As for flow, I've got a Koralia 1 and some other powerhead. One on each side of the tank, pointing up roiling the water. The canister filter is pointed into a corner to get that 'Foof' effect (that's the technical term). I'm using Rod's frozen, and sometimes give a little poof of that near the candy cane and the torch.

Membership, eh? Do I get invites to BBQ's and frag swaps with that?

Thanks for the thoughts. Yea dsoz. I'm onto that. I emptied my protein skimmer, and my canister filter. I top off about 1/2 gallon of fresh every day or two.

I have two 24" t-5 ho lights. Both with a daylight and an actinic. They were a deal when liquid sunshine liquidated. Still would rather have the shop near downtown, but hey. At some point I'll upgrade to a 4' 4 bulb fixture. I'd like to add an amenone and a clam, but will wait for better light. As for flow, I've got a Koralia 1 and some other powerhead. One on each side of the tank, pointing up roiling the water. The canister filter is pointed into a corner to get that 'Foof' effect (that's the technical term). I'm using Rod's frozen, and sometimes give a little poof of that near the candy cane and the torch.

Membership, eh? Do I get invites to BBQ's and frag swaps with that?

Well aside from being part of the "cool" crowd. You get the cool little PNWMAS banner above your avatar. You don't have to be a member to go to the barbecues but members only make eye contact with other members at meetings...(laugh)

Seriously there are some benefits. There is a current grow out competition going on which is fun:

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20221

There are 2 zoa growouts where people pool there money for high end zoas and then when you grow enough of them you distribute them to everyone who bought in.