Acrylic suggestions plz.

SquidHC

Considering building a 24"x14"x14" rimless acrylic tank. It would have a internal overflow.

I believe James used to have a great walkthrough on tank construction somewhere. I'm sure there is others out there. (I used to have many saved on my old computer, but it died.) So if anyone could possibly provide me some links, that would be amazing.

Also, for that size rimless tank, would 3/8" acrylic be suitable to stop bowing?

Thanks in advance.

not likely, you would probably need at least 1/2", better with 3/4". Acrylic bends very easily, and absorbs water through its life, causing it to bow even more.

Id recommend Port Plastics in Tigard for acrylic. not sure they sell to the general public though.

Here is the thread on RC where james details what he does to build a tank

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390652

It is not exactly step by step, but pretty close. you have to fill in the rest with practice on your own. I used this guide (and picked james brain) for my build and was able to build a 375 gallon tank using his proven methods. The most important aspect in building a acrylic tank is the edge prep prior to gluing. In the thread james shows how he has a router mounted on a table (LARGE 3hp porter cable router) and uses very large (1&1/2) bits to prep the edges. I purchased the same router he uses and built a very similar table and the results have been spectacular, I feel confident I could build any size tank I want. The tools werent cheap though, I easily spent $5-7 hundred in tools to do it correctly.

Here is the thread on RC where james details what he does to build a tank

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390652

It is not exactly step by step, but pretty close. you have to fill in the rest with practice on your own. I used this guide (and picked james brain) for my build and was able to build a 375 gallon tank using his proven methods. The most important aspect in building a acrylic tank is the edge prep prior to gluing. In the thread james shows how he has a router mounted on a table (LARGE 3hp porter cable router) and uses very large (1&1/2) bits to prep the edges. I purchased the same router he uses and built a very similar table and the results have been spectacular, I feel confident I could build any size tank I want. The tools werent cheap though, I easily spent $5-7 hundred in tools to do it correctly.

When do I get to come see this tank anyway Mike :) How close are you to SLS on Fruit Valley Road?

When do I get to come see this tank anyway Mike How close are you to SLS on Fruit Valley Road?

Anytime you want! I am about 10 minutes away in the Hazel Dell area.

I'm only about 2-3 minutes away from the SLS on 88th. I live off 88th almost to highway 99

Thanks for the link. Fortunately I'm a finish carpenter by trade, and have pretty much everything except a laminant bit for my tablesaw. =D

I wouldn't spend all that much on a blade, Ive got a freud 80 tooth blade that cuts well. Its really the router that does the prep work. Spin it as fast as possible, the porter cable spins at 21,000 rpm and feed the work between the fence and the blade and it will leave you with a great edge for solvent.