Lookin for a cube

luv951

So, I would like my next tank to be a cube. 30 x 30 x 24. If I can have it custom made, I would actually like 29 x 30 x 24.

Do you guys know a place locally that can make that tank without it costing a huge amount? Of course there is Envision, but I think it might be a bit too much $ based on what I have seen him quote others. Darn nice though.

I can get a MarineLand for about $450 and would like to stay close to that.

Waves is gone, but is Joel still making tanks?

Any other local shops that might be able to do this?

Both acrylic and glass have their + and - so I am not overly partial to either one. For equal dollar amounts, I would probably choose acrylic. Unless, of course I could do three Starphire panels, but I doubt that fits into my budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will definitely contact him. I was reading on the forum that another member was quoted $900 for basically the same tank, so I thought I would get this out there first. But for a local business and such a good guy - I fully planned to give him a shot at quoting, just figured it was an uphill path.

Thanks,

Neil

I can help you out here! I am making my own cube 30x30x24, so i've been thru this (laugh)

My tank is rimless, and James claimed he had never done one before. My quote was 800-900.

The next closest would be glass-cages.com coming in at $1280 shipped but it has an internal overflow. I am doing a coast to coast external overflow

Miracles - $1583

A.G.E. - $1600+

AO - $2000+

I bought my glass locally, three 1/2" starphire panels, one 1/2" regular glass panel, and a 3/4" regular glass bottom. My total for the glass was $800, the silicon you need to use is RTV103 or RTV108. It runs $10 a tube and you will need at least 5-7 tubes.

I'll be gluing on my bottom eurobrace to bring my bottom seam to 1" this weekend, as well as practicing on a 12x12x12 cube before i jump into the real deal.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have!!

Thanks!

I think that is where it starts to get a bit too spendy for me. I wanted to downsize in part to cut costs, but also to make my life a bit easier in terms of upkeep etc. At $800 for just glass, its a tough proposition for me.

James quoted me 650-700, with Euro bracing, which is more than I was hoping for, but not crazy and the thought of having exactly what I want professionally made is attractive.

The best thing about an Envision tank is it'll last you forever and you won't find a higher quality acrylic tank out there. If you factor in the labor for a tank completely custom made however you'd like it the price is actually extremely cheap. Plus if you want to upgrade at a later time your Envision tank will hold it's value. Hell people form all over the world have tanks built by James because his tanks are just that good.

I've bought a few tanks from James, I actually have a 30x30x18 cube with the paper on it sitting in my dining room. One of these day's I'll get the clowns new home setup!