Fish Trap

Ku'ulei

i have one you could borrow but i'm too far away. you could make one like i did. just need light crate, super glue, (2) zip ties and fishing string. zip ties are for hinges on the trap door. i've caught 4 different fish with it. i usually leave the trap in the tank for a week and put food it in it so the fish are comfortable going in it and then when i'm ready to trap them it's quick.

4054254485_21cd0b431a_b.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the ideas!

I really like the picture too, it gives me hope because a flame fish is exactly what I want to catch. :)

I noticed little white star fish in the picture, I have those in my tank too. Mine have separated many times and turned into new starfish but I cannot find any ID info on them. Do you know what they are called?

I noticed little white star fish in the picture, I have those in my tank too. Mine have separated many times and turned into new starfish but I cannot find any ID info on them. Do you know what they are called?

Looks like Astrea stars to me..

I think Harlequin shrimp eat them, but they eat pretty much any starfish so they're not safe in a tank if you have starfish you want to keep. If I remember correctly they only eat starfish as well so you need to keep a supply of feeder starfish on hand...

This is all secondhand information since I've never had the "pleasure" of dealing with Astrea

Astrea are snails, I believe these are Asterina starfish IMHO.

Here is a piece from Wet Web.

While some people like to point fingers and blame Asterina stars for such things as polyps not extending, and of consuming Zoanthids, myself and many other reefers in my area have many of these in our tanks and have never seen any deleterious effects. These starfish have little to no affect on the overall bioload, and are excellent detritivores. The main reason that they seem to get accused of as much ill as they do, is because they do reproduce like weeds. If your tank is nutrient rich enough, they can grow to plague proportions, although it is typically easy to keep in check with manual extraction

While some people like to point fingers and blame Asterina stars for such things as polyps not extending, and of consuming Zoanthids, myself and many other reefers in my area have many of these in our tanks and have never seen any deleterious effects. These starfish have little to no affect on the overall bioload, and are excellent detritivores. The main reason that they seem to get accused of as much ill as they do, is because they do reproduce like weeds. If your tank is nutrient rich enough, they can grow to plague proportions, although it is typically easy to keep in check with manual extraction

Hi Clay,

Thanks for the offer! I am totally there for taking you up on it. I didn't have time to build one yet or go shopping for materials. I will be in Eugene every day this week, can I pick it up from you somewhere? At your shop?

Thanks,

Stefanie

I have an amazing Fish trap!! let me know when you and where you want it? I might be coming to cottage grove today!! :P