Advice on anemone behavior

kevnkev

First, thank you PNWMAS for having this website - I just inherited a 50gal tank from a friend, and this site has been invaluable in helping me figure out how to care for it properly. Thanks!

One confusing bit I haven't been able to figure out yet is about the anemones in the tank. I had two long-tentacled anemones (clones of eachother), with a very attentive yellow striped maroon clownfish tending them. (The past tense will make sense in a bit). I'll tell the whole story, but my question boils down to: is there a way to encourage anemones to stop moving around so much?

When we got the tank a few weeks ago everything seemed to settle down pretty quickly after the move. But then after a week or so the two anemones just started cruising the tank at high speeds. One made a beeline for the mid-upper glass side near one of the pumps, and the other went and wedged its way down among the rocks.

The one in the rocks was the clownfish's absolute favorite of the two, but since the anemone was wedged in rocks, the clownfish would get scratches on her fins from trying to rub in the anemone but missing and hitting rocks. She would heal fast, but get new scratches just as fast.

Next, one of the anemones wandered too close to one of the pumps. I don't know exactly what happened, but we came home one day to find that one of them had gotten sucked up through the filter screen of one of the pumps, and had been reduced to anemone puree.

Finally, our remaining one continues its rapid cruising of the tank. I wouldn't care that it wants to move around except I don't want it heading back into the rocks again for the clownfish to tear her fins up, and it also has a nasty habit of sitting itself down right in the middle of the colony of Anthelia polyps and harassing them.

So, if anyone has some tips on convincing the remaining anemone to settle down, I'd really apreciate it! I don't want another case of blended anemone, and I would prefer to have the corals and anemone ignore each other instead of bickering. The tank's nutrient levels are a little high, and I'm working on getting those cut down - could that be it? I would have thought light issues, except that the first major movement was one anemone up and the other one down. What else could it be?

Thanks for your help, and again, thanks for being here PNWMAS!

-Kevin

How long have you had the tank since the move? Nems are a little wierd in the sense that they have a mind of their own. If they are not happy with their location they will move regadless of where you want it. The fact that the clown is involved is the harder part. How are all of the parameters after the move? A lot of times you can kick up a lot of stuff moving a tank.

Today marks the third week. Right after the move there was a lot of sediment and greenish-brown detritus kicked up, and the protein skimmer went nuts for a day or so. Everything appears to have settled back. The person I got it from wasn't monitoring levels very frequently, so I don't know what historic nutrient values are, but our current ones are just a hair north of optimal for ammonia, nitrate/nitrite and phosphate.

The difference in placement between where the tank is now set up at our house and where it was is that she had it in a windowless office, and we have it near a window with natural, but not direct, sunlight.

When nems get stressed out or don't like the flow they tend to move. Mine still moves, it has 3 different spots it likes and moves back and forth between the 3 spots. I have my rock work set up as 2 "islands" the nem stays on the west island and has never traveled to the east side of the tank. You may give that a try with your rock work. Also make sure there is a mesh covering on your powerheads to prevent the Puree of the other nem.

I would do a water change to bring the ammonia, nitrites and phosphates down. I would also run some carbon to help remove the "nem puree" from the tank.

Beth

ps. Welcome to the forum!

It's pretty common for anemones to move around when a tank is moved or they are moved. It's their response to stress. They also will frequently split. That's the frustrating thing about them is even one you think is happy and situated may decide to move which is a pain. Sometimes they will go into the rocks and hide to split. Mine does that and I think it's going to split but fakes me out. Fortunately my clown doesn't follow it.

I would not try to remove it from the rock attachment as damaging the foot process will kill it. When mine gets to close to my sps I just point a powerhead at it and it will retreat. They don't like a lot of flow so the other thing is to make sure it is not where there is a lot of flow and that it is getting enough light.

Dsoz is our local nem expert.

This is also a website with a wealth of information:

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/apps/videos/

I have a long tentacled anemone, and what I did to get it not to move was to build a home for it. I placed rocks around it that were higher than its body to block the direct flow from the power head, but leaving a 'hole' right above it so it can have enough light. It doesn't move. Also, most of them like meaty foods periodically like silversides. If I don't feed mine often enough it will start to move or it starts looking sad and the tips of its tentacles 'shrivel' or fall off. But you can also feed it too much too, and will grow and grow, then they will split eventually.

Feed it silversides.

Long tentacles are different than bubble tips. LTAs like to put their foot in the sand. BTAs like their foot in a hole in a rock.

The Karens rose anemone site referenced above has a good

screen for your powerhead problem.

Welcome (I am not as big of an expert as some suggest, but I am honored none the less.)

dsoz