Ph again

grassi

So I was reading some pages about a deep sand bed I want to set up.

I was curious about what sand to use and I've found some interesting infos about aragonite sand "fusing" at low ph and releasing ca and stuff like that.

In the thread I was reading Antony Calfo, as he did in other occasions, suggest to keep the ph at about 8.4-8.6 and never less than 8.2 (night).

I'm not in that range and I was curious to know where are you guys at.

Also, who buffer the freshwater before top-off of salt mixing?

Thanks

Ive just read enough that says dont chase the PH and its all about stability-I tried for a few months to stay at 8.3 but unless I go to a refugium and dosing vs the calc reactor I wont see constant or close to constant PH levels.

My levels are higher because its summer and my Apex history shows the last 7 days with lows at 7.95 and highs at 8.30.

Once winter hits or the doors close up more than they are open, I hit lows around 7.65 and highs at 8.15.

I look at my tank and say "Why", that is "why chase the PH?" everything seems healthy.

That’s the never ending game though (at least for me) trying to get it as good as you possibly can and it really is never good enough but as good as my wallet can handle and my knowledge takes me.

always tinkering-I have been entertaining ditching the Ca Rx and trying dosing but I keep coming back to ...."Why"

And no I dont buffer before mixing-I quite buffering a little while ago but have plenty of buffering products "left over"DOH!

My brother of another mother, Brad, is dead on...look at your tank, not at chasing pH...if you must work at attaining some level, work at alk stability...

If you can stabilize alk, (I don't care if someone is at 7.5 or 12, KEEP IT STABLE) and pH will take care of itself.

I look at it this way...we are responsible for alk, the tank is responsible for pH...pH changes throughout the day by the tank's doing...I drip kalk..pH 8.3-8.4 during the day...8.1-8.2 at night.

DrMerle

I'm with Brad 100% and he knows it. We had a few conversations about ph, alk, dosing and we both, like you, are for stability first.

My tank is doing great, but sometimes my mind needs some exercise ;)

I like to try to go as deep as I can. Chemistry is fun, when you can apply it and see the results, like in our hobby. That said I still have to read the chemistry book I got from Powell's 9 months ago lol

I'm happy with my ph level (about 8.3 with a night drop at about 8). I was just thinking why my water isn't at the values that Calfo was suggesting. What I'm missing or what is generating that low level. I'm sure my corals are gonna look good either way.

I just like the idea of knowing better all the chemical chain reaction in my tank.

Thanks for your replies