Fish Wish List

ToxicPoison

So I figured I'd share my wish list with all of you and see what you think...if you're not too shy to share your opinion of course ;)

I'm listing them in my expected order of introduction.

School of Blue-Green Reef Chromis (6ish)

Bangai Cardnial (2 - This is at the request of my wife. Gotta keep her happy!)

Kole Tang

Green Mandarin

I'm also considering a Kleins Butterflyfish to help with my Aiptasia problem.

Would that be overstocked? (Tank specs are in my signature)

The chromis will likely come from liveaquaria.com since I have a gift certificate there, but I'd like to get the remaining fish locally if possible...tips?

Any other comments will (probably) be appreciated! (whistle)

So I figured I'd share my wish list with all of you and see what you think...if you're not too shy to share your opinion of course ;)

I'm listing them in my expected order of introduction.

School of Blue-Green Reef Chromis (6ish)

Bangai Cardnial (2 - This is at the request of my wife. Gotta keep her happy!)

Kole Tang

Green Mandarin

I'm also considering a Kleins Butterflyfish to help with my Aiptasia problem.

Would that be overstocked? (Tank specs are in my signature)

The chromis will likely come from liveaquaria.com since I have a gift certificate there, but I'd like to get the remaining fish locally if possible...tips?

Any other comments will (probably) be appreciated! (whistle)

chromis do best in odd schools

You should check out Isaac aka The coral mafia, aka TCM aquatics. He's a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to fish and compatibility. We got most of our fish in the agressive tank from him and he had some good suggestions. He talked me into getting a baby clown trigger and a baby queen angel and I have been very happy with them.

Nice thing as well, is if you are patient and he doesn't have the particular fish you want, he can order them for you and pick out a nice one for you and the price is usually going to be a little cheaper ordering than if you bought it at the store because then he doesn't have to spend the time and money housing the fish.

I never knew of this option but now that I know I have no need to order a fish online. He is in the SE portland near Oaks park area and has set hours now.

Thanks for the quick replies

chromis do best in odd schools

I've always heard the opposite. If you keep them in even groups, there is no "odd fish" out that gets the brunt of aggressiveness. The dominant fish(es) will pick on a couple of the less dominant ones, rather than a single one.

Feel free to correct me..

You should check out Isaac aka The coral mafia, aka TCM aquatics. He's a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to fish and compatibility. We got most of our fish in the agressive tank from him and he had some good suggestions. He talked me into getting a baby clown trigger and a baby queen angel and I have been very happy with them.

Nice thing as well, is if you are patient and he doesn't have the particular fish you want, he can order them for you and pick out a nice one for you and the price is usually going to be a little cheaper ordering than if you bought it at the store because then he doesn't have to spend the time and money housing the fish.

I never knew of this option but now that I know I have no need to order a fish online. He is in the SE portland near Oaks park area and has set hours now.

I saw his post about set hours, and planned on checking his place out but I didn't know he also had fish. Good to know, thanks!

i have 4 chromis and they do fine. the only time they get aggressive is at feeding time and its still not anything but play tag, they have been in a tank together for about 3 years. I also have a mandarin goby and if your tank is not well established with copepods, you will be spending good money monthly to keep it alive. A rule of thumb is about 1 Inch of fish per 10 gallons.

I really enjoy the diminutive fish in my system like my shrimp gobys.

It's something to think about because it would be best to add any little guys first.

P.S. A sleeper goby would do a great job keeping your sand bed looking great.

I've always heard the opposite. If you keep them in even groups, there is no "odd fish" out that gets the brunt of aggressiveness. The dominant fish(es) will pick on a couple of the less dominant ones, rather than a single one.

Feel free to correct me..

They do better in odd numbers. In even numbers they pair up whereas in smaller groups that are odd numbers there will be a single dominant one. (In larger groups it doesn't matter)

Personally I would skip the Chromis. They will school for the first week or two but then they will become comfortable in the tank and stop unless they have another fish that is bullying them.

Also how long has the tank been set up? Unless it's been a year or more I would also hold off on the Mandarin. They almost exclusively eat pods and will either decimate the pod population in the tank or starve unless you have a huge pod population (even if you do then it still may decimate it before long).

I guess I am past the 1" for 10 gallon rule. i have a yellow tang' date=' scopas tang, naso tang,orange shoulder tang, sailfin tang, male and female melanarus wrasse's, coral beauty, golden headed sleeper goby, dragon goby, diamond goby, scooter blenny, algae blenny, false perciula, all in a 150 gallon tank.[/quote']

I think there's a website for that Brandon called Overstock.com(laugh):p

I guess I am past the 1" for 10 gallon rule. i have a yellow tang' date=' scopas tang, naso tang,orange shoulder tang, sailfin tang, male and female melanarus wrasse's, coral beauty, golden headed sleeper goby, dragon goby, diamond goby, scooter blenny, algae blenny, false perciula, all in a 150 gallon tank.[/quote']

it is just a rule of thumb. nobody said you couldn't use a rule of two thumbs or even a finger for that matter, now just to decide on which finger to use?(scratch)

Man..I leave for 24 hours and this thread takes a wicked left turn..

Focus! This thread is about ME! ;)

As for the Chromis..I was mainly getting them due to the fact I have a $25 gift certificate to liveaquaria.com (Thanks mom.) I'm thinking of going with the Kleins Butterflyfish instead since my aiptasia is getting nuts (flame)

WOULD THAT MAKE YOU CHROMIS HATERS HAPPY?! ;)

Sounds like a well thought out list to me can't wait to see pics ;-)

P.S. how is that acro doing?

Thanks, much appreciated. The acro is doing FANTASTIC (mostly). There seems to be a small aiptasia growing at the base...I was going to post in the SPS forum for tips on cleaning it off, but I'll take suggestions in here too..

I'll try and get a picture of it shortly, but the polyps are fully extended and the tips are VERY pink =).

Also how long has the tank been set up? Unless it's been a year or more I would also hold off on the Mandarin. They almost exclusively eat pods and will either decimate the pod population in the tank or starve unless you have a huge pod population (even if you do then it still may decimate it before long).

Yep, I'm aware of that. Tank was set up about this time last year and the Pods are crawling everywhere. It's also why it's last on my list, since I plan on adding it last. I appreciate the tip though :)

just had to add to this because I saw a bunch of chromis haters in here. ( what what!!!:P)

I would also skip them... not worth it in the long run. Get a group of anthius instead. They are much less timid in most cases and will end up adding more color and life to your tank.