Lighting Suggestions

USCG CWO

Okay I am seriously close to upgrading tanks again (nutty). I am looking at a 36 x 36 x 27 150gal Marineland Deep Dimension Tank. I need suggestions on lighting it. I have no experience with 400w so could I get away with one or do I need two. I love my 250w 14k Phoenix bulbs but not sure I could use just two.

How would you light it if money wasn't a concern? More concern with ballast, wattage, reflectors and T-5's/VHO vice any particular bulb brand or kelvin rating.

Well the 'rule of thumb' is that if the tank is over 22" deep then 400's will be the only light to reach the bottom.

But maybe you can run the 2-250's as your main light and have 1-400 come on during the middle of the day to represent the sun at full strength. But in doing that finding reflectors might be a pain.

Well the 'rule of thumb' is that if the tank is over 22" deep then 400's will be the only light to reach the bottom.

But maybe you can run the 2-250's as your main light and have 1-400 come on during the middle of the day to represent the sun at full strength. But in doing that finding reflectors might be a pain.

this is exactly what i do and my tank is 24" deep and the light is still too bright for a lot of the chalices

My tank is 36 wide, so you can see what 1 light with a Lumenbright looks like. Tank is 72 long, so I have three pendants. Two are 250 one is 400. You would want 400 for a 27" deep tank if you want to grow SPS close to the bottom, but you may want to go with 250 so you can grow lower light corals down there.

My suggestion would be one Lumenbright large (20") with a selectable ballast. Then you could easily switch from 250 to 400 and back if you wish.

Simple...one light, one ballast=cost savings over time.

If you would like to come over and see what that would look like you are welcomed.

Ken

Here is the quote from page 6

Here ya go, took a quick test on the light. All #'s except the 30" was taken with the fixture 4" above the water level. The 30" # was taken with the fixture 10" above the water line.

6" is 1479

12" is 878

18" is 553

24" is 392

30" is 210

Gen2partest.jpg

here is the link

post number 59 is what I quoted on page 6

http://nationalcoralregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?1149-LED-test....but-on-a-very-small-scale....should-be-interesting./page6

I am definitely not wanting to start a LED/MH/T-5 war. I prefer MH with T-5 supplement and can not afford LED prices yet. So I guess the no expense thing is not accurate.

So two 250w with T-5's or 1 400w with T-5's for a 36"Lx 36"W x 27"H? Would I get enough spread with one LumenMax Elite reflector?

I have a LumenMax Elite and I get light fall-off at the edges. A large Lumen Bright would give better coverage. If you are going to be adding T5 I might suggest a Fiji Purple T5.

PS: I really like the look of Stylaster's tank. I believe he was running a couple of Radiums and a middle whiter light to balance the blue. His corals pop nicely.

I'm going to go with Coralvue dimmable electronic ballast. I did buy one Lumatec 250/400 so I'm going to use that for one of the 400's. Might look into those, pretty small and if the 250 isnt enough switch to 400. T5's also, blues for evening viewing. how many light are you going to put over it?

I have a LumenMax Elite and I get light fall-off at the edges. A large Lumen Bright would give better coverage. If you are going to be adding T5 I might suggest a Fiji Purple T5.

PS: I really like the look of Stylaster's tank. I believe he was running a couple of Radiums and a middle whiter light to balance the blue. His corals pop nicely.

right on the money Franklin, im running two 250 20k radiums on the ends and a 400w 14k hamilton in the middle. I dont run any actinics, but have been looking into it. Not sure if i want that much blue, but it probably would make some of the fluorescent colors pop more

I am definitely not wanting to start a LED/MH/T-5 war. I prefer MH with T-5 supplement and can not afford LED prices yet. So I guess the no expense thing is not accurate.

So two 250w with T-5's or 1 400w with T-5's for a 36"Lx 36"W x 27"H? Would I get enough spread with one LumenMax Elite reflector?

I would image with using the 400 with reflector will get you pretty good spread, but you would be fairly dim around the edges of the tank. This can be a good thing for less light loving corals (ie chalices, some fungia, some favias, etc)