Test Kits

DavidB

Which test kits is everyone using?

3 years ago when I started out I got Salifert but had a lot of trouble with the Salifert KH test kit. The kit would read a much higher KH level than was actually in the tank and I subsequently lost a few corals. I then switched to API and Elos which both seem to be pretty good. I prefer the Elos kits but they are pretty expensive. My Elos test kits are about to run out and I'm thinking about using API exclusively simply because they are a lot cheaper. What do you think of the API kits? And also, has anyone tried the new Hanna digital Phosphate tester? Looks pretty good for the money.

What do you think of the API kits? And also' date=' has anyone tried the new Hanna digital Phosphate tester? Looks pretty good for the money.[/quote']

API=false/inaccurate reading-IME at least on KH,Ca,Mg

Salifert or Elos, you get what you pay for-IME

I have used the Hanna meter for PO4 but only from a LFS-the unit they had runs 200.00.

I've not had the experience you have had with Salifert and on strictly percentages they are the kit of choice by the "majority" of serious reefers.

emphasis on "majority

depends upon what you are measuring.

Elos-calcium

Elos-Magnesium

Acid titration with ph probe- Alk (use to use lamotte as it is nearly as accurate)

Hannah P04 low range monitor- P04

Lamotte low range nitrate- N03

I think I have tried every test kit imaginable and these are what I have settled out on over the years.

I have used Salifert for years also. I now have the Elos mg kit. I tried the Elos calcium kit, but hated it. I know Tim at Westside uses API kits for all his parameters. His stuff always looks good. What I don't like about the Elos kits is that it is hard for me to see the color change, especially on the KH kit. I use the Tropic Marin KH kit right now.

I have used Salifert for years also. I now have the Elos mg kit. I tried the Elos calcium kit' date=' but hated it. I know Tim at Westside uses API kits for all his parameters. His stuff always looks good. What I don't like about the Elos kits is that it is hard for me to see the color change, especially on the KH kit. I use the Tropic Marin KH kit right now.[/quote']

That reminds me. I need to check out Tim's store since it's so close to my house. I'll ask his views on the API's