Help PLease.

BrianB

Yes, IO makes up at 350ppm Ca and recommends using tap water for an extra 100ppm Ca for reef tanks. They are insane to have that on the label and target reef tank owners as customers. I have never understood why they don't manufacture it at 450 ppm and suggest ro-di water. Always has said that on the label, which should be enough to say steer clear if you don't want to be supplementing.

Fish

I don't think the tank should cycle or spike that much since it was similar to just doing a water change. Fish wouldn't have really needed acclimation either. Generally when I do a water change I try to match the parameters as best as possible. I would check salinity, nitrates, and ammonia.

Yeah the ammonia was at 1.5 mg/l last night salinity at 1.025, temp 79 and nitrite .3 mg/l. After dome of the comments and issues I think I am gonna change salt just want to know what a good quality salt is and who in portland stocks what. The instant ocean stuff didn't dissolve very well either. Even with a mag 7 and 2 power heads running.

Yeah the ammonia was at 1.5 mg/l last night salinity at 1.025' date=' temp 79 and nitrite .3 mg/l. After dome of the comments and issues I think I am gonna change salt just want to know what a good quality salt is and who in portland stocks what. The instant ocean stuff didn't dissolve very well either. Even with a mag 7 and 2 power heads running.[/quote']

instant ocean products aren't bad, just make sure your using the orange reef crystals instead of their plain saltwater.

Yeah the ammonia was at 1.5 mg/l last night salinity at 1.025' date=' temp 79 and nitrite .3 mg/l. After dome of the comments and issues I think I am gonna change salt just want to know what a good quality salt is and who in portland stocks what. The instant ocean stuff didn't dissolve very well either. Even with a mag 7 and 2 power heads running.[/quote']

If you are in Portland Oregon, you can try some of the MEI salt from Seahorse Aquarium Supply on Columbia Blvd. and I think 21st. st. Just east of MLK Blvd. They only sell it in 150 gallon makeups but it is really worth the switch. It isn't the fanciest saltwater place around, but they sell the best salt I've come across in mei. You could call woody and talk to him about it. You may pm me for the number if you'd like or just look him up. Sometimes you do need to let it sit a couple of days before it is ready though. Great stuff!

Greg

If you are in Portland Oregon' date=' you can try some of the MEI salt from Seahorse Aquarium Supply on Columbia Blvd. and I think 21st. st. Just east of MLK Blvd. They only sell it in 150 gallon makeups but it is really worth the switch. It isn't the fanciest saltwater place around, but they sell the best salt I've come across in [i']mei[/i]. You could call woody and talk to him about it. You may pm me for the number if you'd like or just look him up. Sometimes you do need to let it sit a couple of days before it is ready though. Great stuff!

Greg

Is that the Crystal Sea mix? I didn't recognize it when you said what it was however when you mentioned where it came from I knew right away. Nothing personal but it is the only salt I know of offhand that I will never use again and the only one I will advise others to avoid. I had two problems with it. First is that it required constant dosing to get the levels to stay where they need to be and second is that it is very inconsistent from box to box.

Is that the Crystal Sea mix? I didn't recognize it when you said what it was however when you mentioned where it came from I knew right away. Nothing personal but it is the only salt I know of offhand that I will never use again and the only one I will advise others to avoid. I had two problems with it. First is that it required constant dosing to get the levels to stay where they need to be and second is that it is very inconsistent from box to box.

Wow. I had the opposite effect when switching. Go figure. At least you did not heed my ill advice, which is very easy to come by. It just worked for me.

What about kent salts? Anyone use this I was thinking about ordering a 200 gallon bucket. The instant ocean just didn't dissolve and left stuff in the bottom. It was not the reef crystals it was just the normal IO salt. and the bag had been sitting for years although it was sealed up. Defiantly going to buy a differant brand.

I use Kent, and like it well. High calcium, decent alk, somewhat low mag. I generally dose with mag flake when I make up a batch.

I used to use the Crystal Seas Marine Mix also (MEI, as you call it, from Seahorse) but switched after I got some really inconsistent batches and found myself dosing all three (mag, alk, calc) every time I mixed it up. I've been pretty happy with Kent.

Lots of people also like the IO reef crystals. You definitely don't just want to use the regular IO - it's not designed for corals.

Before work I was able to get some calibration solution' date=' my meter was off by a full point. Tank ph is 7.9 currently with lights on. Temp 80.[/quote']

sounds like your in the right area, wouldn't hurt to throw in a little ph up. maybe check your alk and throw in a dkh buffer that will increase your ph too if both levels are low. I would still keep an eye on your ammonia levels. i still suspect your going through a small cycle. Its not a difficult thing to accidentally cause especially when you change things around, stir up sand and put a bunch of fresh water in that needs to be seeded by the current bacteria as well. To many things going on all at once. just leave it be and let it settle back in to itself. it will balance out. keep an eye on your parameters and try to keep them fairly consistent and use nitrate and ammonia removers to help reduce the effects on your inhabitants.

• 5 weeks later...

I doubt your pH of 7.9 reading. Also, you might want to drip a little Kalkwasser in the evenings to better raise alkalinity and pH semi-quickly. The free hydroxides will also help precipitate phosphates, actually increasing your skimmers performance, along with other benefits. Just don't overdo it, and don't try to use it to "raise" your calcium levels, there are better ways for that. As far as Super dKH buffer, I have used it in the past and found it took an awful lot to do any permanent good. Anyway, that is just my 2 (maybe 3) cents worth...