Question about LR

mc82

How long will it stay in water with out current and skimming? I had about 5lbs I was working with when I had to rush out; so I threw it in a bucket of saltwater. That was 5 days ago - i just got back - is it still good to throw in my tank?

- Matt

Also test for ammonia and nitrite in the water from the bucket. If it has ammonia then you want to cycle the rock in the bucket of salt water with a heater and powerhead for several weeks until there is no smell (other than tidepool), and no detectable ammonia or nitrite.

dsoz

it also depends on the size of your tank your putting it in. 5lbs in a 75+ gallon tank, i wouldn't even care, i'd at least wash it in saltwater and then throw it in the tank, it will reseed with time and the cycle would be so minimal you wouldn't even see it. now if you threw that into a pico tank that would be a different story.

Question about LR

Yea, into a little 15g nano - a small change can make huge impact so all this info is great.

The amount of help on this forum is amazing - thanks! I'll test the rocks and water tonight.

- Matt