HID lighting

talkalot82

HId lighting Yay' date=' or nay[/quote']

You really need to elaborate ;)

What will be in the tank? How big is the tank?

HID is obviously overkill for a 10g Nano, but I can't imagine not using HID on a 300g tank with corals. If it's a Fish-only tank, you can probably get by with just using T5/Flouro bulbs.

well right now we have a 20 tall tank with a metal halide over it 250 watts, and we were thinking about changing it over to HID they say the produce more per watt, also they say they dont need a fan. well this one doesnt. I also has one cord, built in ballast, and for t5 light bulbs. in that tank we have an arrangement of polyps, mushrooms and zoas, as well has a brain coral and frog spawn. hammer head and two torch corals. as well as two maroon clowns and a shrimp. so I guess we have a bit of everything...

well right now we have a 20 tall tank with a metal halide over it 250 watts' date=' and we were thinking about changing it over to HID they say the produce more per watt, also they say they dont need a fan. well this one doesnt. I also has one cord, built in ballast, and for t5 light bulbs. in that tank we have an arrangement of polyps, mushrooms and zoas, as well has a brain coral and frog spawn. hammer head and two torch corals. as well as two maroon clowns and a shrimp. so I guess we have a bit of everything...[/quote']

I'm confused...Metal Halide IS HID lighting. HID is a generic term that means High Intensity Discharge. Metal Halide is a specific type of HID lighting.

Do you possibly mean HQI (Hydrargyrum quartz iodide), which is another type of HID lighting that is popular with marine aquariums.

A link to the lights you're thinking about would probably help clear this up...

HID lighting

Looks like it uses metal halide bulbs just with a single ended, G12 base:

* Bi-pin, G12 base high intensity discharge (HID) metal halide lamps

* Brilliant point source style light for intense aquarium illumination

* Multiple K-ratings for versatile custom aquarium lighting possibilities