Cutting Glass for Homemade Sump..Help...

Ronjunior

Goal: to make a sump around 16" deep, around 17" tall and maybe 3' long.

I have a few 55 gallon aquariums I want to cut down and make a sump that will fit under my cabinet. I was going to use 1 untouched, but wouldn't be able to manuever underneath, let alone squeeze a skimmer cup out.

I don't have a problem cutting glass from 4' to 3' or so, I'm afraid of trying to cut the 3' piece from the 21" down to 17". In other words, basically shortening the height of the tank/sump. Anyone try to cut this thick of glass over the length of a 3' span....only taking off a few inches and have it turn out with a straight break?

Other option is to trade someone with a sump for a tank.

Of course Im not good with glass, at least I've never cut glass. But it seems alot of work to remove the frame and silicone to then cut the glass. I personally would look around for a cheap used tank the size your looking for, I guess they probably dont come that size though. Im using a 20L for my sump, I just measured, its only 12" high, 12" deep and about 2 1/2 feet long. A little smaller than what your wanting.

Oh well, good luck, sure would be the cheapest route if you already have the tank and know how to cut glass. Hopefully its a old one you have laying around, wouldnt want to risk a new one.

I cut about 12" out of the back of my 29gal using a dremel. Took about 30 min. I didn't have any problems, i think the glass was 1/4" thick. I think it would be simple to do it all the way around. Especially if you have a rotozip and tile cutting bit. My dremel is battery powered so i would have to recharge it every 30min or so.

P1060107.jpg

P1060106.jpg

P1080001.jpg

You should be able to scratch it with the glass cutter, then tap the scratch with the ball end of your glass cutter, this should open up the crack, start near the edge and keep tapping it to work the crack along your scar line. Im sure its possible to do it without taking the tank apart.

Many if not most 55s are tempered, be sure you try this outside :)

Im sure its possible to do it without taking the tank apart.

Joel... how sure are you about this? Have you ever seen it done or attempted it yourself?Am I the only one cringing here?(scary) (laugh)

I'm not saying that it is impossible, just improbable. All tanks that I have modified were disassembled, the glass cut, then reassembled. I don't see how there would be any way to get a clean break with the tank still together. Perhaps if the top frame and sealant were removed along the side seams first.

Best of luck Ron. :)

Yeah, I'm still contemplating on the best way, maybe score on the inside, take off a few inches of silicone, lay flat/over hump and push down/tap from the inside of the tank...Using clams to hold a 2x4 in place for scoring and breaking.

I suppose I could attempt with a 55g tank that's already broken and if it works, I'll at least have some baffle material. Only thing I won't be getting is a 16" wide tank if I don't recreate entirely..... don't know if the 4" will make or break a sump... One of those things you find out later when trying to put a large skimmer or something in the mix and it won't fit.

I wonder how a diamond bladed wet saw would do, I know it cut my patio rocks like butter...may just shatter with vibrations though...

I can't find articles of a glass tank being cut shorter by any means, I'm probably just nuckin futs for tryin :). But what else is a guy to do when he doesn't have a real job.(nutty)

Hey John what do I get if I can do it :)

I agree it wont be a clean enough cut to silicone another piece right on the end, it would have to be ground, or the peice would have to fit inside the bottom and sides. Im pretty confident I would be able to do it.

Ive done some stained glass in the past so Ive done some glass cutting.

Hey John what do I get if I can do it :)

I agree it wont be a clean enough cut to silicone another piece right on the end, it would have to be ground, or the peice would have to fit inside the bottom and sides. Im pretty confident I would be able to do it.

Ive done some stained glass in the past so Ive done some glass cutting.

How about hearty "well-done"?:D

As long as it is for what Ron intends to do with it, a perfect edge wouldn't really be all that necessary. It's just the top few inches being removed... the top frame can always be siliconed back on.

I wonder how a diamond bladed wet saw would do, I know it cut my patio rocks like butter...may just shatter with vibrations though...

I can't find articles of a glass tank being cut shorter by any means, I'm probably just nuckin futs for tryin :). But what else is a guy to do when he doesn't have a real job.(nutty)

A diamond bladed wet saw works great for cutting glass. You will want to dremel the edges smooth when you get done, or like said above just silicone the rim back on........ Ive used my $77 wet saw home depot special to cut glass quite a few different times.

I see no reason why you couldnt just slide the tank over one side after another. You will probably put some scratches in the glass from sliding it on the saw table and little shards of glass....but if its for a sump that shouldnt matter.