Zoa Lighting

BrianB

I have a extra tank in the garage that I would like to setup with zoa frags till my large tank is complete. This is my first sw tank and would like to know how much light would be good on a 30 gall tank. Tank is 30 L x 19H x 12 d. I also have a 28 gall that I could use. It is 36L x 16H x 12D.

No unfortuantly I am getting a 125 from my uncle. The tank is in perfect condition but he is using no live rock horrid blue gravel and a siphon into a wet/dry setup. The stand is horrid and he uses a light strip from HD. So I have alot of work to do to get a nice tank setup. New custom stand and sump new lights etc. So the main tank will take sometime to get up and running.

If it were me, if you plan on doing a retrofit kit and having a canopy with the new system, then I would just buy a light now for the new tank and use it over the zoa grow out tank.

I run 175 MH on my 125g and like it. You could go with 250w MH's or all T5's. If you plan on going metal halides just buy your desired wattage light now and hang it over your grow out tank. It will save you money in the long run and get you on the way to your goal.

Picking a bulb like a 14K would give you a balanced color and IME eliminate the need for supplemental lighting with zoa's.