I'm a Believer!

racefan

I have never had a quarantine tank before(I know..I know). Well I finally set one up when I got my latest 2 fish. It's sooo nice to keep a watch on them & see not only see that they are healthy, but watch my McCosker's Wrasse get bigger & stronger in only a week & not have to try & find him hiding amongst the rocks. Mike

I have never had luck with QT either, about week 3-4 they start to die on me!

After loosing the first 4 fish I QT I have never done it again!

Beth

I'm right there with you! I'm a firm believer that the fish are either going to live or die regardless of what I do lol. They are wild animals after all. In fact I don't even drip acclimate them just drop them in. Haven't lost one yet! knock on wood

I think a quarantine tank is fine if you have the luxury of having a large one. The risk obviously of putting new fish in your established tank is if it has disease it is going to affect all of your fish.

I will never use the 10 gallon one again and even when we moved the clownfish into the smaller tank to treat him I think the stress of being in such a small area stressed him out mroe and weakened him more.

its just tough becasue who wants to keep a tank set up and cycled with live rock for a quarantine. Also most meds will kill the bacteria the cycle your ammonia and nitrite. Even with 100% water change you can not avoid ammonia and nitrite since it is present in freshly mixed saltwater. More volume is better, but much more expensive when it comes to treating it with meds and water changes. Fish either live or die they either adapt or perish. Thats fish. If you ask me the thing that plays the biggest roll in whether your fish makes it or perishes starts with collection, holding and shipping, not quarantine. Get your fish from a store that supports wholesalers that practice sustainable collection and MAC certified methods. You may pay more but it pays for itself in the end. Thats just my 2 1/2 cents.

its just tough becasue who wants to keep a tank set up and cycled with live rock for a quarantine. Also most meds will kill the bacteria the cycle your ammonia and nitrite. Even with 100% water change you can not avoid ammonia and nitrite since it is present in freshly mixed saltwater. More volume is better' date=' but much more expensive when it comes to treating it with meds and water changes. Fish either live or die they either adapt or perish. Thats fish. If you ask me the thing that plays the biggest roll in whether your fish makes it or perishes starts with collection, holding and shipping, not quarantine. Get your fish from a store that supports wholesalers that practice sustainable collection and MAC certified methods. You may pay more but it pays for itself in the end. Thats just my 2 1/2 cents.[/quote']

I agree with this and actually the 2 hippo tangs that I bought that didn't do well had to do with the collection process. Also if you buy from reputable places you are less likely to have problems.

In the end as someone else said in another thread, it is amazing that so many survive with being snatched out of the ocean, bagged, shipped, bagged again etc.

I am thankful for all of the tank raised ocellaris available out there and the soon to be other species. The clowns that we got from Seahorse who got them from Barelycuda are little troopers and are as tame as little puppies. They are not stressed at all in the frag tank. They are just like hey you you got any food?!:D

In my experience, healthy fish don't need to be QT'd. I have never been able to pull a sick fish through. Healthy fish will fight off almost all parasites and disease. When to go to buy a fish, look at its eyes, gills, fins, lateral line, etc. Have the LFS people feed the fish so you can watch it eat and how it eats. If you are not sure about the fish, DON"T BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or put a deposit down on the fish and come back in a few days to see how it is doing. If a LFS won't hold it for you with a deposit, chances are you need to find a new LFS!

I recently had my blue tang get white spots on him, kind of ich looking. I think it was because I added an anemone which took his buddy away (my maroon clown) and stressed him out. Anyways I watched him for a couple weeks and he's all good now. I never messed with him at all. I thought about a QT tank, but now that I think about it, that might have killed him off. He was depressed and just had to learn some coping skills lol.