The Pac-16

impur

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I just read that Texas came to the Pac10 commish either early today or late last night and told him that they wanted a larger share of $$ than everyone else plus the ability to have thier own TV network. Commish told them that the $$ is to be distributed evenly so its fair to all schools and that Texas has known that for months. They just tried to pull a fast one to up their share. Commish told em no.

"In the 11th hour, after months of telling us they understand the TV rights, they're trying to pull a fast one on the verge of sealing the deal in the regents meeting," the source said. "They want a better revenue sharing deal and their own network. Those were points of principle. (The Pac-10) wants to treat everyone fairly. It's been that way for months of discussions."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports2006/ci_15295447?source=rss

Yeah the other 9 teams in the Big12 gave Texas an even bigger share to get them to stay. Oh well maybe it is all for the better.

I still think it makes the Pac10 look bad on a national level. Since Texas kinda gave them the finger. And you know Texas will spin the story so they aren't the bad guy in this.

The writing was on the wall. I knew Texas would pull this crap. I'm just glad the Pac 10 had the juevos to tell them where to put their network. Texas could help others profit so much and they would profit too, but they just don't want fair sharing. They want a monopoly on their conference. They own the Big 12 and the people that make the Big 12 policy. It's ridiculous.

I heard they were going to change the name from the Big12 to..............

(wait for it) ..................................

"THE TEXAS 10" :p :p DOH! (naughty) :D (clap)

Or

"TEXAS and the 9 idiots"

Interesting article Miles. Having gone to Texas A&M for 4 years there is an aged old rivalry against the longhorns even more than the ducks and beavers. Our fight song is all about being against the Longhorns which I always thought was a little over the top and strange since we play so many other teams.

Would be sad if politics did play into it and would have been stupid for the Longhorns to join the pac 10 without the Aggies. Both schools have huge followings and deep pockets.

Tis a bummer....(sad)

Actually the Civil war is older than the Lonestar Showdown, but UT and A&M have played 3 more games total. The Lonestar Showdown started in 1900, but they have played 116 games. The Civil war started in 1894 and the 2 teams have played 113 times.

And just for fun:

All-time series Oregon: 57-46-10

At Eugene: Oregon leads 26-23-3

At Corvallis: Oregon leads 27-19-6

At Portland: Oregon State leads 4-3-0

At Albany: Oregon leads 1-0-1

So it doesn't seem like its a done deal yet. Texas Tech has not agreed to stay yet!!

http://blog.oregonlive.com/pac10/2010/06/report_utah_gives_notice_it_wi.html

* The five Big 12 programs that would have been left behind -- Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor and Missouri -- all agreed to sign over their share of Colorado (Pac-10) and Nebraska (Big Ten) buyout money to Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M in order to help coax them to stay.

* Texas Tech has yet to sign off on the deal to save the Big 12. The commissioner hopes they'll do so when regents meet today.

* The Big 12 does not yet have a future TV deal agreed to at this time, although the projections Beebe used to help persuade the Longhorns, Sooners and Aggies to stay would promise them in the range of $17 million per year. Rather than a deal, he says he has confidence those numbers will hold up based on the research he's done and the conversations he's had. Those details and more are spelled out in a "white paper" SI.com obtained that reveal Beebe's "Hail Mary" attempt to salvage the conference.

Miles, I believe you are wrong about when the longhorn/aggie rivalry began. Before 1900 the longhorns were simply known as varsity.(scratch) I can't pull facts out of my hat (not what I wanted to say :p) as quickly as you though!(laugh)

By the way, I think those "fun facts" were for all those Beaver fans.(laugh)

As far as Texas Tech joining the pac 10, I wouldn't count on that either. There is quite a draw from A&M and UT wherever they play but who knows.

It can't be that much older since Texas A&M didn't start playing football until 1894 (and did not field a team in 1895). At best they are the same age but UT/A&M have played 3 more games total. Texas started football in 1893.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/fetch-team.pl?team=Texas_A+M

Here is a list of every football game played between UT/A&M. First game was 1903

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2009&team1=TexasAM&team2=Texas

Wiki might be wrong on the civil war i'll have to dig some more. Stassen says the first game was 1916.

Sorry i have a lot of football links saved. I post pretty frequently on a few football boards and you gotta have facts available!!

It can't be that much older since Texas A&M didn't start playing football until 1894 (and did not field a team in 1895). At best they are the same age but UT/A&M have played 3 more games total. Texas started football in 1893.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/fetch-team.pl?team=Texas_A+M

Not that it matters right?:p Thanks for the facts!

Ok 1894 UO vs OAC (Oregon Agricultural College which is now OSU) was first game.

http://www.goducks.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=3377&SPID=233&DB_OEM_ID=500&KEY=&Q_SEASON=1894

And TAMU vs UT was also in 1894!!! (laugh)

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/all-time-record-teams.html

So the rivalries are the same age but UT/TAMU have played 3 more games. They are the 3rd (UT/TAMU) and 7th (UO/OSU) oldest rivalries in the country. Whew. At least i learned something today (laugh)

Yah it doesn't matter but i like to look that stuff up anyway ;)

I was on the huskerboards last night and the Oklahoma fans are seriously PO'd. The deal the Big 12 made with Texas gives Texas up to 5 million more per year than #2 in the big 12. Sheesh. Oklahoma fans were praising Nebraska for having the wherewithal to leave the big 12.

The fans should be upset!! All this extra money that Texas receives will only put the rest of the schools farther behind, which will lead to Texas recruiting better players, which will lead to Texas winning more games and making the differences inside the conference even that much more un-balanced, all across the boards. Not just in sports!!!

But they will reap what they have sown.

Karma is a Bi$ch!!!!

So it doesn't seem like its a done deal yet. Texas Tech has not agreed to stay yet!!

http://blog.oregonlive.com/pac10/2010/06/report_utah_gives_notice_it_wi.html

* The five Big 12 programs that would have been left behind -- Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor and Missouri -- all agreed to sign over their share of Colorado (Pac-10) and Nebraska (Big Ten) buyout money to Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M in order to help coax them to stay.

* Texas Tech has yet to sign off on the deal to save the Big 12. The commissioner hopes they'll do so when regents meet today.

* The Big 12 does not yet have a future TV deal agreed to at this time, although the projections Beebe used to help persuade the Longhorns, Sooners and Aggies to stay would promise them in the range of $17 million per year. Rather than a deal, he says he has confidence those numbers will hold up based on the research he's done and the conversations he's had. Those details and more are spelled out in a "white paper" SI.com obtained that reveal Beebe's "Hail Mary" attempt to salvage the conference.

I haven't heard this before about Texas Tech!! Very Interesting!!!

I so hope that they DO NOT sign off on it and Texas gets what It deserves! If by some chance Texas Tech did decide to forgo the Big12 and join the Pac10......... I would be throwing a major victory dance!!! Including soaking my family members with alcohol showers and shaving cream!!! Just like a World Series celebration!!! (rock2) (rock2) (rock2) (rock2) (rock2) (rock2)

I haven't heard this before about Texas Tech!! Very Interesting!!!

I so hope that they DO NOT sign off on it and Texas gets what It deserves! If by some chance Texas Tech did decide to forgo the Big12 and join the Pac10......... I would be throwing a major victory dance!!! Including soaking my family members with alcohol showers and shaving cream!!! Just like a World Series celebration!!! (rock2) (rock2) (rock2) (rock2) (rock2) (rock2)

Be careful what you wish for.. them red raider fans can be pretty obnoxious!(laugh)

Well we do deal with Fuskie fans every year. Doesn't get worse than that! (wife)

TT isn't gonna come. Looks like it'll be Utah.

I will take the Husky fans over the red raiders any day. Can we make a trade?

Although I have been told Aggie fans can be obnoxious too but then again it's called team spirit when it's your own team!(laugh)

Well we do deal with Fuskie fans every year. Doesn't get worse than that! (wife)

TT isn't gonna come. Looks like it'll be Utah.

Woof Woof! (enforcer) :D

You guys have your share of "special" fans as well. I don't think any fan base has a monopoly on idiots. You find them everywhere(nutty)

Sure wish the PAC-16 would have worked out. It would have been nice to bring in some quality new blood and all that $$.

Pac10 swung for the fences and got a single or maybe a double. Picked up two TV markets where we had nothing before so that's good. I hope they don't make divisions out of the conference. I'd rather see us play everyone else but one team (you would never skip your rival) and then 2 OOC games that gives you 12 games and 10 conf games against quality teams.