Zoanthid Eating Nudibranches

ReefSafari

A friend of mine back east and I where talking about Zoanthids, and he said that he bought a chunck of cool looking zoanthids a while back, and after about a month ord so, he started noticing these little Nudibranches, and told me to google "Zoanthid Eating Nudibranch"..so I did, I was wondering if anyone had ever experienced these before? He said he is starting to notice more and more of them, and some of his Zoanthids are staying closed, I wasn't sure what to tell him, and said I would post it on here as there was some Zoanthids keepers at my local society.

Anyone have any advice for what you can do for these "Zoanthid Eating Nudibranches" He said he is just tweezering them out when he sees them.....(scratch)

Thanks, I will forward him a link to this thread, He said he was going to try this stuff called Salifert Flatworm Exit? I have never used it so I couldn't tell him go/no go on that stuff... Has anyone used that before? I think he just has a Sixline Wrasse right now, if he got a Melanarus wrasse or Leopard wrasses he is going to have to get rid of the Sixline right?

sixlines may not do well with any other peaceful wrasses(melanarus)...

flatworm exit will not work from what I have read. tweezering them off is just a temporary fix. If the sixline isnt eating them, definitely swap it out and get a melanarus, they are hawgs.

Read this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php

and this one too

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic73612-9-3.aspx

I have potassium permanganate that I can give you/your friend. Next time you are in Portland, you can swing by Oregon City and I can give you a couple of treatments of the stuff. Send me a PM. If you pay shipping, I can probably even put some in a flat rate postal box and send it wherever.

I had montipora eating nudibranchs (two or three times) and zoa eating nudibranchs once.

With enough dips and treatments they can be defeated!!!

dsoz

I had some of these. I also used a turkey baster to remove them, and have not seen any since. I guess I was lucky. The ones I had fluoresced under my moon lights, so that made them easy to spot. The look a lot like the berghia nudibranchs that are supposed to eat Aiptasia (maybe that is what I had instead of the zoa-eaters).

I have battled them before and they are right next to imopossible to get rid of. I fought them for a long time with dips, manual removal and everything. Sucking them out with a turkey baster works great, and they are pretty easy to spot after a while. You have to look out for little clusters of eggs though too, they have too be scraped off manually. I have never seen any treatments aside from dips that kill these.