Anybody here dosing Sugar???

Is anybody here dosing sugar regularly? If so, reason for dosing, how much and how often, what changes have you seen and what do you test??

I have been dosing 1tsp everyday for the past 1 week. The water is cloudy but the algae are dissapearing.

Any info would be welcomed.

Thanks.

I did that for years. I ended up dosing one packet once a day until nitrates hit zero and the algae went away. Then I would dose spuratically when I would think about it. It took me a few weeks to build up to a full packet.

I did this after doing 35% water changes weekly for a couple years. Sugar is just easier on the back. I don't really do water changes anymore. I will go months at a time now.

I also have stopped dosing sugar since setting up my new system, but I do have a 65g refugium now that is sucking up all of the nutrients.

If your water is cloudy, you are dosing to much. Just dose enough until you see the nitrates drop, then continue to dose that amount.

JMO

I started off dosing sugar, and then went to vodka cuz it was easier to buy a flask of rotgut than mix my sugar solution. I posted my formula for vodka carbohydrate equivalent sugar solution a while back, maybe in the General section... a bit of forum archaeology should turn it up if you are sufficiently curious.

I started off dosing sugar' date=' and then went to vodka cuz it was easier to buy a flask of rotgut than mix my sugar solution. I posted my formula for vodka carbohydrate equivalent sugar solution a while back, maybe in the General section... a bit of forum archaeology should turn it up if you are sufficiently curious.[/quote']

I'm sufficiently curious but I'm a horrible researcher.(scratch) I always have librarians do that kind of thing for me! Is there a forum librarian?;)

Is the rationale to decrease nitrates? decrease algae? or both? What if your nitrates are at zero already? Probably dumb questions but I'm not afraid to look stupid.;)

do a search on vodka dosing, sugar, vinegar, bacteria dosing...

All are forms of carbon dosing which feeds bacteria...the bacteria then consume phosphates and nitrates, thus helping to lower both, which starves algae...

I switched from sugar to dextrose, while also dosing vodka...persistent hair algae from years ago sins trapped in rocks made me start over...while I am not currently dosing carbon sources, I am occasionally adding bacteria, using Filtra M as a zeolite and running GFO/carbon...

I am very close to ordering and starting NP Biopellets, which are "solid vodka" pellets, automating the dosing carbon theory.

Stay tuned as I was close to starting a post on it.

wannabe---if your water is cloudy, you have a bacterial bloom...stop dosing until things clear and then start over at a lower dose, perhaps half as much...this is not a process to rush...

DrMerle

Thanks Kendra! You statisticians are great with getting the facts out!(clap)

do a search on vodka dosing, sugar, vinegar, bacteria dosing...

All are forms of carbon dosing which feeds bacteria...the bacteria then consume phosphates and nitrates, thus helping to lower both, which starves algae...

I switched from sugar to dextrose, while also dosing vodka...persistent hair algae from years ago sins trapped in rocks made me start over...while I am not currently dosing carbon sources, I am occasionally adding bacteria, using Filtra M as a zeolite and running GFO/carbon...

I am very close to ordering and starting NP Biopellets, which are "solid vodka" pellets, automating the dosing carbon theory.

Stay tuned as I was close to starting a post on it.

wannabe---if your water is cloudy, you have a bacterial bloom...stop dosing until things clear and then start over at a lower dose, perhaps half as much...this is not a process to rush...

DrMerle

Very useful information thank you! I learned something new today! Would be curious to hear about the biopellets!