Pulsing Xenia Question

Ku'ulei

Hello everyone,

My pulsing Xenia is a little too happy at home in my new tank and is obviously trying to take over. Can anyone tell me how to prune Xenia correctly or the best technique I should use in order to remove them from the live rock? (plotting)

Thank you so much.

Stef

If I remember, that rock was at the top of the stack and easily removed. I have heard you can remove the rock and take a small torch( like the ones used to solder wireing) and torch the stuff off the rock. The freezing technique sounds a little safer in the living room :)

I grab the base with a pair of dissecting tweezers and gently pull it off the rock. It detaches a lot like zoanthids or anemones will. The upside (or downside, depends on how you look at it), if there is a little bit of flesh still attached to the rock it will regrow a new small xenia stalk. I count this a bonus because I am trying to grow more of it for my sump, and I also take some into the fish store on occasion for store credit.

If I can't find a store that wants to take it, it grows in the sump as a nutrient export. Every now and then I may need to flush some down the toilet, but that is what nutrient export is all about.

dsoz

LOL Newfisher! I had some of the xenia that wasn't doing so hot and it pulled off the rock just fine with a couple tugs. Obviously by the sounds of it you can't hurt it much, maybe a sharp non oiled razor blade and something to grasp it with to trim it if you don't want to get rid of all of it?

No, not yet. It is growing nicely though. Bobby was over yesterday and I showed him that the cheato had some browning in some areas but bright green new growth in others. Any recommendations on what LFS I could drop it off for credit? And when I harvest it, do I use a sanitized garden pruner to cut it up?

And when I harvest it' date=' do I use a sanitized garden pruner to cut it up?[/quote']

If you are talking about chaeto, I just use a pair of kitchen scissors. Wash them off when done to not get rusty. I have also used a knife, and I have just torn the clump apart with my hands.

dsoz