So....apparently we are all criminals....you might wanna read this thread...

CA2OR

Thought this was interesting....apparently PNWMAS has been engaging in illegal activity....or at least allowing it....that is of course everyone here has an SPL....do you?

Saltwater Products License (SPL)

You must have an SPL in order to do any of the following:

Sell, barter or exchange for merchandise any saltwater products[/i]

A Wholesale Saltwater Products Dealer License (WD) is required to sell saltwater products to any customer except the consumer and to buy from persons holding an SPL or another licensed wholesale dealer in the counties specified on the license. Wholesale dealers must report purchases to the Commission when products are landed or sold for the first time.

A Retail Saltwater Products Dealer License (RC) is required to sell any saltwater products to the end consumer. A retail dealer may purchase only from a wholesale dealer. The RC is not required when products are prepared for consumption or take-out under a license issued by the Division of Hotels and Restaurants.

A person transporting saltwater products in this state - regardless of destination - must maintain possession of invoices, bills of lading or other similar instruments showing the number of packages, boxes or containers and the number of pounds of each species and the name, physical address and the Oregon wholesale dealer number of the dealer of origin.

Now before you comment on this originally being a Florida thing I should note I made some calls of my own and low and behold the same laws apply here.....does breaking the law go against our mission statement? And now that I posted this thread it could be said that everyone here was informed and is no longer ignorant or unaware of the law. Oh...and trading is considered bartering as you receive something in return which makes it against the law

What are the punishments you ask? Confiscation of livestock, fine, and if reoccuring offenses potential jailtime

From here:

http://myfwc.com/license/Saltwater_Licenses_Commercial.htm

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Re: So....apparently we are all criminals....you might wanna read this thread...

Will update as I get calls back....but it looks as though I may be applying for a SPL....don't wanna get the Craigslist treatment as they are looking on local forums now too....beware.

Try and touch my personal property-(laugh). They can have a "heart" to heart talk with my buddies "Smith" and "Wesson" while "Mr. Glock", his cousin "Sig Sauer" and their neighbors "Heckler and Koach" and 'MRS. Springfield' join in on the fun.

2gunsfiring.gifrocket.gif

I had another "compulsive" hobby before reefing-:eek:

Bring it-;)

Try and touch my personal property-(laugh). They can have a "heart" to heart talk with my buddies "Smith" and "Wesson" while "Mr. Glock"' date=' his cousin "Sig Sauer" and their neighbors "Heckler and [b']Koch[/b]" and 'MRS. Springfield' join in on the fun.

Bring it-;)

Brad, we must discuss certain "things" over a few "cups of coffee" at our place one night.

Try and touch my personal property-(laugh). They can have a "heart" to heart talk with my buddies "Smith" and "Wesson" while "Mr. Glock", his cousin "Sig Sauer" and their neighbors "Heckler and Koach" and 'MRS. Springfield' join in on the fun.

Bring it-;)

LOL! The only thing useful I got out of your post Brad was they have cute little cartoon character guys for everything!(laugh)

LOL! The only thing useful I got out of your post Brad was they have cute little cartoon character guys for everything!(laugh)

I love those guys-they make me feel warm all over-We need to add them to our list so I dont have to visit reef sanctuary and steal them.

Certain people recognize my "buddies"- Hey, you will always safe at my place-(enforcer)

dont forget another favorite-nekid.gif

threadjack.gif

Thumbs_up.gif

Will update as I get calls back....but it looks as though I may be applying for a SPL....don't wanna get the Craigslist treatment as they are looking on local forums now too....beware.

really??? I mean just REALLY!!??(nutty)

HMMMMMM?

"Now before you comment on this originally being a Florida thing I should note I made some calls of my own and low and behold the same laws apply here.....does breaking the law go against our mission statement? And now that I posted this thread it could be said that everyone here was informed and is no longer ignorant or unaware of the law. Oh...and trading is considered bartering as you receive something in return which makes it against the law

What are the punishments you ask? Confiscation of livestock, fine, and if reoccuring offenses potential jailtime"

Either you are at the top of their list or are stirring the pot? I guess if they go after those with the most "trades" first, I will be wearing diapers again when they get to me.

Re: So....apparently we are all criminals....you might wanna read this thread...

Yes again as stated this was in Florida where I read the post....so I called our local commission and was informed that similarn laws abide here but she couldn't assist me with more info rather I had to get a call back from some guy in conservation and commercial fishing. So...when I hear from him I will update...matter of fact no....no I won't. I only posted this here as they are currently watching sites like Craigslist...according to the girl here in Oregon but will begin monitoring local sites as well.

My calls started with Oregon wildlive conservation commission, then fish and game, then agriculture (don't ask) and finally commercial fishing conservation committee....if you care to make phone calls and get into the maze I was in take note that the commission that controls this is the same that protects the local fish, anemones, and so on. Apparently with the recent catastrophies to reefs around the world laws are quickly being put into place and enforced.

If you want to hear about what has happened in Florida or how it went down I think Andy posted the link on RC.

I started this thread to give you guys a heads up of what could be comming our way....but to be rediculed is not in my interest nor is it something I am prepared to endure nor tollerate....so this will be my last post.

And, I'm sorry, but I gotta agree with Brad, the #$%)(*&!@#$&^()*&%#@5_!@#*$&%_(@%^_(@#$!_$(^&@#*(_$ government that we all believe serves the people the way the Constitution says it should is a @#$()%*^&@#(_$^@_^_(*%& joke and we will all be regretting the fact that we didn't realize this sooner very very soon.

Yes again as stated this was in Florida where I read the post....so I called our local commission and was informed that similarn laws abide here but she couldn't assist me with more info rather I had to get a call back from some guy in conservation and commercial fishing. So...when I hear from him I will update...matter of fact no....no I won't. I only posted this here as they are currently watching sites like Craigslist...according to the girl here in Oregon but will begin monitoring local sites as well.

My calls started with Oregon wildlive conservation commission, then fish and game, then agriculture (don't ask) and finally commercial fishing conservation committee....if you care to make phone calls and get into the maze I was in take note that the commission that controls this is the same that protects the local fish, anemones, and so on. Apparently with the recent catastrophies to reefs around the world laws are quickly being put into place and enforced.

If you want to hear about what has happened in Florida or how it went down I think Andy posted the link on RC.

I started this thread to give you guys a heads up of what could be comming our way....but to be rediculed is not in my interest nor is it something I am prepared to endure nor tollerate....so this will be my last post.

I understand your concern, My other hobby is Herpetoculture, over the last year or so, there has been a massive push to ban the interstate sale and transport of certain species of snakes, also due to an issue the is isolated to Florida. See southern florida and the everglades is such a unique ecosystem in that almost anything tropical can live there, be it Ocars (South American Bass Type Fish) to tropical snakes, and there are reports that some snakes have taken a foot hold there and have begun breeding. Well there is a HUGE list of non-native species in florida, not just snakes, there are wild flocks of Australian and African and even South American Birds that have been breeding and the flocks are growing.

The issues in southern Florida do no apply anywhere else in the united states, I know Florida has strick laws on many things, and I would have no doubt this law is inforced there. But here I honestly don't think something like that applies. And while the person you spoke too said differently, With all the Saltwater Stores in Oregon, Inlcuding Petco's...which is a Chain Store, I just can't imagine this being true. There is ABSOLUTLEY NO WAY they can control the average hobbiest transactions...there is no way.

I know that in Herpetoculture, there was a BIG increase over the last few years of people that buy/sell/trade on a fairly large volume that where not businesses, and everybody and thier brother had a website with pics of available animals for sale. This was a major problem in that you didn't know who really was a business and who wasn't. Heck we even had a website at one point...until I realized we where operating like a business with no business license, so I shut it down.

In florida, they really have to be careful of non-native species, if anything is released, there is a good chance it will survive and if enough are released that non-native species can become established and present a problem. That is the reason why they closely monitor everything, but up here most everything we all keep, is tropical, and absolutley NOT survive outside our aquariums. So there is non reason to closely monitor hobbiests here, unless someone is opperating like a business and moving large amounts of coral and fish, without a business licenses, then they might investigate you and your craigslist ads. But for the average hobbiests who offer other "Family" members a good deal on frags, they are not going to care about that. There is NO WAY for them to enforce things like that, even if it where true.

I honestly think that the person you spoke with is incorrect, It might invovle things like having a fishing license if your carrying your catch from the river/lake home, But seriously, If I get pulled over, on my way home from the frag swap at Seahorse Aquarium this weekend, I guarantee you the officer is not going to ask for papers on the corals and fish I have in the cooler....I honestly don't think its something to sweat over here in the Pacific Northwest.

Its one of those situations where if you go digging and asking a bunch of questions and those people you are asking questions to don't know, and have to do some research, your asking for trouble. I think its better to be ignorant and if you get into trouble, ask for forgiveness, rather than ask for permission and have to deal with all the potential hassle. If none of the Reef shops have heard of such thing, then I would imagine its nothing to worry about. As almost all the shops accept trade ins for credit, which would fall under bartering...right?

One day you read an article on the NYT where they say how important our hobby could be in conserving and saving the reef barrier, and the other day you are a Craigslist criminal :)

I didn't do researches but I just hope that laws are written with some good sense. So I really think that restrictions are in use in this manner mostly for the food industry.

If you apply a similar principle all animals and plants growing and breading should be banned and selling your puppy or your japanese maple should be illegal.

I think, as a crime, it is worst to steal emoticons from other websites... yes Brad, you are the one (laugh)(laugh)