Deep Water Acropora

batchelor

I personally feel that the "deep water" thing is just a sales angle. place the coral just like you would any other sps. As far as I know most of the sps in shops all come from aquaculture farms off shore and I would guess that they all come from about the same water level.

I have my deep waters the Lokanis, Carolinas, Loripes lower in the tank, but that is where I was told they should go-I did have them higher in the tank and they did not care to be blasted and showed less color than when they were lower in the tank.

MY tank is 90% SPS and I have for certain seen color morphing at different levels.

Gonna have to post some pics of what you have or are getting-;)

I'm with Finch -- many (most?) acros sold as "deep water" are just as light-hungry as all the others. From what I can tell, the defining characteristic of "deep water" acros are rounded branches or corallites.. not collection depth.

Yet another marketing scheme, imo.

• Like 1

thanks for all the info guys, i think i might try moving it lower because it seems to be bleaching out. although andys description of "rounded branches" equaling "deep water" and not collection depth seems accurate. as far as pictures go, my photography skills are about as good as the quality of my camera, which is crap. but i'll try tomorrow.

the defining characteristic of "deep water" acros are rounded branches or corallites.. .

Agree there!

If they are sold as deep water be extra careful when acclimating to your light as some do come from deeper depths believe me or you will lose your specimen.

Yes you will, not all acros are created equal-deep water lower light;)

then slowly move them up if you want-I tend to save the high spots for those that "like" it there

• 4 months later...