Lights out

Jules

This may be a really dumb question and maybe should be in general or beginners but here goes. Do all softies close up at night? If I was to put some moon lights in there would they still close up? (scratch) Just curious is all. :D

I have moon lights - everything still closes up just fine. Occasionally some things will stay open during the night, at least when I am looking. No ill effects though. I love the moon lights, seems like a whole different tank at night.

I have 3 Toadstools, Zoanthids, Green Star Polyps..and some LPS...and I notice all of them closing at night...The Frogspawn, Torch, and Hammer Corals all retract when the lights go out after a while, the Soft Corals all close up as well. It can take a hour or so for them to all "go to sleep"...and same in the morning...when the lights come on, it can take an hour or so for them to "Wake Up"....But they all seem to have thier "Sleepy" Time..

I personally don't think "Moonlights" provide enough light for them to stay open, I have moonlights on mine too, but when the main light goes off...they start to close up.

I have moon lights in the reef tank and love it! Moonlights rock Jules(rock2). That is one of my favorite additions to the tank. It gives the corals a different color at night (pretty cool). The fish still know it's "bedtime" and sleep but it's fun looking at things at night. Most things still close up too!

The softys will all retract but some may be more noticeable than others. My frogspawn for instance retract somewhat but even in the middle of the night it's hard to determine how many heads are there. LPS and SPS corals as mentioned above tend to open up at night. This is somewhat dependant upon feeding though as they may start opening during the day instead if they are not fed at night.

As far as moonlights it will depend somewhat on how bright they are. Some are bright enough that they will effect the fish and corals, others don't. (Some are also barely worth getting though as they don't light the tank enough to see) Either way I would still only run them to extend the viewing and then have a completely dark period for 4 hours or so at night.