Anemone questions

Nate

BTA's are generally small enough and the best anemone to start with. Most of the clown species will host them even if they are not the native anemone for them. Be aware though that there is no guarantee that a particular clown will host any anemone. (They are almost as likely to host a frogspawn or even a power head instead) I have a pair of Black and White clowns that will host an anemone however they prefer my frogspawn and I have an orange one that hosts zoas and mushrooms. Then I have a Cinnamon that is the only one that is hosting an anemone(RBTA). The funny thing is it's the smallest of the bunch.

Anemones usually either grow or shrink (and die). No matter what size tank they are in they will grow if the conditions are right (light, food, etc.).

A 29g tank is on the small side to keep an anemone AND corals. Expect to loose one or the other.

You can keep the anemone artificially small by "fragging" it when it gets too big. I have split anemones many times and BTAs are some of the easiest. There are many youtube videos you can watch to learn how when/if you need to.

dsoz

The pair of maroon clowns I had in with my RBTAs were dumb! They may have hosted within minutes of adding them to the tank, but they not only did not feed the anemones, they did the opposite!!!

Any time I tried to feed silversides (or anything else for that matter), the clowns would pick up the food and carry it over to the corner of the tank and drop it. This frustrated me because I was trying to fatten up the anemones so I could frag them. Also, all that food rotting in the corner started off an algae bloom that I am still dealing with. GFO phosphate remover, water changes, and dosing sugar have all become regular parts of taking care of that tank.

dsoz

Kmiller was having trouble with clown / bta hosting. I let her borrow a 10g Qt tank and fill it with her tank water. I suggested she use a powerhead to gently loosen the nem and place it in the qt. She caught the clown and put it in with the nem and within hours they hosted and when re-installed in the display they were good.