tomato clown fry 13days

talkalot82

heres a picture. this is shadow. my follower... day 13 going on 14. took with my cell phone so not the best picture. sister still has my digital.

[ATTACH]7777[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7778[/ATTACH]

just an update I got the tank set up now for grow out. almost cycled.. just barely have nitrates now.... Just 5ppm and here's a pic of my grow out tank. the babys are hidding in the corner so they didn't make it in the pic..

However after an hour of them dodging my camera I finaly got a picture of shadow, my favorite fish... I just think they are camera shy...

They are now twenty days old and all on flakes... [ATTACH][ATTACH]7866[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] also I made the fake anemone out if nylon weed wacker twine. that way they can learn what an anemone is. I got pcv pipe 3/4"-1/2" so they can hide in it. also I took a dead coral and a small rock with no crevices into the tank from one of my other tanks to help cycle the grow out tank.. I am using a hydo 1 filter powered my an air line. the sponge was seasoned in the back of one of my tanks for about a week, so that it too can help cycle the tank... I do about a ten percent water change every day now...

• Like 1

i have about 12. though thats good because I had a bbs crash and they got put on sieveed flakes formula one and spirila... though they are a bit bigger or a quarter of an inch. are they about the right size?

Also they got put on frozen bbs

• Like 1

Any suggestions on what I would need to try raising some clowns. My pair is laying eggs about every week and my wife really wants me to try to get them to hatch. I have a 29 gallon set up right now not really doing anything. just running water and a couple chunks of live rock in there.

Just curious, been reading up on it and I know its hard to do, but no harm in trying.

• Like 1

Id get a book on the subject.. I recomend a book by Joyce..

and Cant remeber her last name.. ask barecuda.. Its called clownfishes Im at work or id look for you.. You need about a ten gallon tank and rotifers.. it works great if you can put a clay pot in the tank or a tile for them to lay their eggs on.. you have to black out the three sides of the tank. with black poster board news paper etc.. dont recemend you painting it. But there is just so much Id get the book.. It's more detailed.. they are fairly easy. though down be suprised if the first batch dies or the second. it's a learning experence. the way I look at it. in the wild none of the eggs would have had lived or maybe just one so if you can get a couple to live thats great.

I've done everything word for word and they have died and other times they do just great.. I have had the tank over heat and a ammonia spike problem. just talk to barecuda.. In the end it was worth it and I have these beautiful end results. One day ill have to get rid of them and I know I will be saddened. they are my great accomplishment and just like a kid to me.

The book is Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson. As far as blacking out the tank you want to black out all four sides for the first 5ish days. If you are serious about trying to raise the fry then you really need to read the book or else you'll end up beating your head up against a wall.

I just started the clownhouse expansion last weekend and am adding 16 more tanks. The meeting will be at my house in September so you can see it then.

Dave

I heard you were having the meeting there next month. If you weren't so far away and I didn't have to work I'd be there.. Though I never blacked out all four sides just three. So I could see when I cleaned... and watch them change tummy colors. The clown fishes book said you could do that. However yoou have done more than I... so maybe you can get a better survival rate with all four side blacked out...

• Like 1

We are having a meeting in Springfield next Sunday, so if you can, it will be starting around noonish at oxx155's house, the information is in the I believe it's the meetings section.

I'm sure Dave is going to do his best to be there, aren't you Dave? LOL

• Like 1

I WILL BE THERE AT THE MEETING ON THE 16TH OF THIS MONTH

I WAS THINKING THAT i MIGHT DONATE ONE OF MY BABYS AFTER THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH OF COURSE TO SOMEONE AT PNWMAS. 'CAUSE I am just breeding them for my benefit and not to really sell them. And with my time and energy I don't want them to go to a bad home and be killed or eaten. I'd feel horrible.....

We'll be looking forward to having you.

I'm hoping Dave can be there for this one, but, you can't miss meeting at Dave's house later this year, he's going to attempt to get Matt.....Crap can't remember his last name an feelin lazy LOL, to come an speak at his(Dave's) Clownhouse, it's going to be friggin INSANE!!!!!

I only know of one other breeder that doesn't black out all 4 sides of the tanks but I'll try to do some more reading to see if there are others.

I really want to be at the meeting this month but I have to work both days this weekend moving some equipment that can't be moved during the week.

Matt Pedersen is the person I am trying to get to come out to speak. He was named MASNA aquarist of the year for 2009. I am not optimistic he can make it in september tho. He & his wife are expecting their first child in June and he is speaking at MACNA this year which is 2 weeks before the meeting. He has said he definitely said he will come out just trying to nail down the time.