80 Gallon Display

h2odvl

I would just do a overflow box on one side, and the return on the other side. That way freshly skimmed water returns on one side, and the water that needs skimming will be exiting on the opposite side. You don't want to rely on flow from your return pump. You just need decent turnover rate and match it to your skimmer output.

I'd go with this:

http://www.glass-holes.com/1500-gph-complete-kit-gh1500kit.htm

That will give you plenty of extra gph to work with depending on your return. Plus you get the holesaw so you can cut your return hole :D

Franklin: I would like to be able to get access to the box and it would make it hard with the brace there.

Jon: A coast-to-coast minus the center is two overflow boxes! :0

Miles: I think I might go with that idea minus the $100 kit

DIY overflow box cost:

Acrylic $6

Glue (Have it) $0

Bulkheads (no more then) $18

PVC $10

Bits (Nick or Garrett) $0

Hang a little over and

get a frag rack $0

Total cost $32

So what do you guys think about the flex tubing idea anyone tried it before?

If it helps, I have glass hole saws for both 1" and 1.5" bulkheads now. I like Miles idea though with enough flow in the tank, you should be able to distribute the majority of the water around the tank fairly quickly resulting in the overflow gathering mostly old tank water even if you decide to do dual returns. A single return just limits the flow that you intend on using as movement on one side of the tank but with enough flow from powerheads and such, it really wont make too much of a difference. That probably could have been worded better lol.

• 9 months later...

Update: 3/30/2011

It's up and running!

I went with dual corner drains (1 1/2") I made the over flows from scraps and one center return (1")

It is only using one drain at the moment, waiting on the sump design to be made/finished.

It has a 15 gallon tank as a sump right now.

The rock and corals are from my 29 gallon tank.

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2706.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

This is after buying 65 pounds of rock from redcloud, I still need to aqua-scape it. I also got a bristle star and a few corals.

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

For lighting I'm running a dual 250w pfo ballast with one 10k and one 14k to see what I like. I'm thinking 14k +.

I am plaining on having a refugium on the left and the main sump on the right and have the fuge drain into the return area of the main sump.

I'll also be running two smallish skimmers at first, to see if i can get a good cleaning cycle going where there is always one working and one breaking in.

More to come (soon I hope) (laugh)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a new sump under the tank last night and upgraded the skimmer to a rubben 2500

IMG_2949.JPG

I have a few micro bubbles in the display, guess I did a bad job on the baffles and the pump area seems way to small now. Time for a new sump :)

IMG_2950.JPG

Post #34 the 7th pic...is that a chilli pepper monti? There's so much green in corals' date=' but I like the way that shade looks.[/quote']

Yes, got it from impur! very nice monti!

On pic 13' date=' whats the deal with sandwhiching those zoas under another disc?[/quote']

It had a frag on top of the top plug and wanted it to grow down on to the other plug, because it started growing under the top plug. It had bryopsis so i had to take it off to try and save them

• 3 weeks later...

baffled?

""I have a few micro bubbles in the display, guess I did a bad job on the baffles and the pump area seems way to small now. Time for a new sump ""

Jacob, can you shoot a better pic of the baffle area? it looks like the last baffle -to- pump box is at a 45 degree angle and is causing a cascading effect into the return. The baffle chamber before that area seems clear in the pic. If so, eliminate the 45 at the top and see if that helps. You could also stack another full piece in the design which may help.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...