Need lighting advice.

pds802

My display tank is 20"x15"x18". I currently am blasing it with a 15k 400 watt Pheonix type with 80w of pc actinic and another 96w of 50/50 (sounds like alot) anywho I am interested in a change but there are so many options out there. I Like the way the new HQI fixtures look but have no clue how many watts I really should be pumping through my tank. Also would be nice if I could continue to use my current ballest. Any input/opinions or advice would be helpful in my purchase of the right unit.

Thanks

Patt

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with mick, look at some of the new fixtures maybe a HQi with LED's they are starting with the smaller tanks and some pretty cool fixtures. Probably alot less electric bill for the size of tank

T-5's always look nice

I agree, T5's would drasticaly lower electric $ on your tank plus cut down on the heat transfer to the tank and (now that it's summer) to your room/house cutting your cooling cost's. true there isnt as much shimmer as MH but there is a little.

I agree' date=' T5's would drasticaly lower electric $ on your tank plus cut down on the heat transfer to the tank and (now that it's summer) to your room/house cutting your cooling cost's. true there isnt as much shimmer as MH but there is a little.[/quote']

I figure I would save about $8 a month if I switched from my (3)250w MH to T5's. Might be a little less depending on how long I would need to run them.

Short answer-I'm right there with Rick-I had a similar tank I had 6 24 watt T5's then went 150 DE MH, I liked the MH which added heat, which caused me to by a chiller, and after that it was over, 2 new tanks in 2 months.

Good luck with the never ending chase-:D

MH has my vote/suggestion-

feel free to "DISAPPROVE"-LOL

Short answer-I'm right there with Rick-I had a similar tank I had 6 24 watt T5's then went 150 DE MH, I liked the MH which added heat, which caused me to by a chiller, and after that it was over, 2 new tanks in 2 months.

Good luck with the never ending chase-:D

MH has my vote/suggestion-

feel free to "DISAPPROVE"-LOL

LOL, Let's see if I can remember them all. In my first 6 months I set up a 55g, a 20g, an 85g, a 14.5g Nano, a 40g, a 125g, and built and set up a 28g (approx.) frag tank. Not sure if the frag tank was in the first 6 months or not though. (Might have been around 8 months) Either way I set up at least one a month for the first 6 months.