Training A Puppy?

Algae

I don't have any videos to send you to, but I have had dogs most of my life and can give you some general advice for sure. Pay attention to what they are doing all the time and don't yell or hit them in the face, use a stern voice and when they are about to potty take them outside, rain, snow or shine. Carrying kennels are great for training while at night or at work as well if you don't want the hassle of cleaning up after them. Thats all I got at the top of my head. Oh, and make sure they get socialized, meet people. Give them their own judge of character early.

I am no expert but my friend is a dog trainer of 12 years and taught me a few things. Crate training is great and not inhumane in the least despite how it seems to us. When I trained the dog I have now I clipped a fishing bell to the molding of the door near the ground and every time we went out I would ring it, eventually he learned that the bell meant outside and he started ringing it himself. At night he slept in our bed because he was lonely and because he wouldn't potty on the bed and since the bed was so tall he couldn't get down to go anywhere else so he would wine at the edge of the bed and we would know to let him down.

Watch him close and take him out every couple hours or when it looks like he needs to go and congratulate him when he does and they learn very quickly. The most important thing I can tell you though is never call a dog to you for punishment because they will stop coming to you or associate it with being in trouble and stay away from the whole bad dog thing and of course hitting. I use a low throat noise and say ahhhhhhh for everything wrong he does and he knows. Dogs do learn words but mostly understand tone, so a high pitched happy voice is good and a low throaty noise is bad. Stick to that an you should be well on your way in no time.

Hope it helps.

It has been 2 1/2 days and no accidents yet! He does not like to go in the house. I let him out every 1-2 hours. He has been able to hold it overnight. The puppy is almost training himself.

I don't have any videos to send you to' date=' but I have had dogs most of my life and can give you some general advice for sure. Pay attention to what they are doing all the time and don't yell or hit them in the face, use a stern voice and when they are about to potty take them outside, rain, snow or shine. Carrying kennels are great for training while at night or at work as well if you don't want the hassle of cleaning up after them. Thats all I got at the top of my head. Oh, and make sure they get socialized, meet people. Give them their own judge of character early.[/quote']

I do have a book on "crate training". I'm going to check it out.

I can see where being around other dogs could really help.

+1 on crate training

Algae I would also recommend taking a puppy kindergarten class. They are fun and they generally give good basic puppy advice but most importantly IMO the benefit of the class is it socializes the dog.

I have seen the "Dog Whisperer" on TV and thought "What a crock", until I watched it and I was impressed. I had great success with an adult dog 20 years ago with "No Bad Dogs" by Woodhouse and at the time thought no training could be better. I had a two year old white German Shepherd (got a 12 week now) that I could work on visual/verbal/mixed commands. But that was a mature dog there have been improvements in some areas and I am ready to reluctantly admit. Plus it is a puppy. I got books by Dunbar and Kilcommons/Wilson.

I have heard of the bell trick and think it is a great idea. Gotta find a bell (The Bell Store?).

The happy voice really helps!

I am no expert but my friend is a dog trainer of 12 years and taught me a few things. Crate training is great and not inhumane in the least despite how it seems to us. When I trained the dog I have now I clipped a fishing bell to the molding of the door near the ground and every time we went out I would ring it, eventually he learned that the bell meant outside and he started ringing it himself. At night he slept in our bed because he was lonely and because he wouldn't potty on the bed and since the bed was so tall he couldn't get down to go anywhere else so he would wine at the edge of the bed and we would know to let him down.

Watch him close and take him out every couple hours or when it looks like he needs to go and congratulate him when he does and they learn very quickly. The most important thing I can tell you though is never call a dog to you for punishment because they will stop coming to you or associate it with being in trouble and stay away from the whole bad dog thing and of course hitting. I use a low throat noise and say ahhhhhhh for everything wrong he does and he knows. Dogs do learn words but mostly understand tone, so a high pitched happy voice is good and a low throaty noise is bad. Stick to that an you should be well on your way in no time.

Hope it helps.

Boy Howdy! Forgot about that one. This puppy grabs everything.

Puppys like to chew' date=' get LOTS OF TOYS! :D nylabone is a good one anything that won't fall apart.[/quote']

I am starting to do leash training now with a flat collar. Definitely not ready for a slip chain. Got a Halti which I will try later.

Now I remember why I said I'd never have another puppy. But [language filter], he is cute! And I wanted a dog that could age/grow up with my daughter.

Any advice on leash training?

How about dog introduction to existing, miffed cat?

There are some tips and tricks on my company's website for raising a new puppy www.wonderdogsonline.com, please feel free to check those out.

As far as leash training goes, remember that there is only one reason that dogs pull......we follow them. Imagine what would happen if we just stopped? Would the dog check back in to see why in the heck you're not coming too? Probably. When that happens, reward! In my classes I teach a method called "stop and go" walking. If the dog's flank passes your knee (or tail for small dogs), stop all forward motion and immediately move backwards a few feet. The leash will get tight, and that's ok. Help the dog back onto your side by encouraging it with your hands (patting your leg or using a hand signal) and continue walking. You neighbors will think you're nuts for a while because you will look like a yo-yo.....but later they will be envious that your dog doesn't pull.

I also remind classes that leash walks are not a very good way to exercise a dog. All dogs were bred with a purpose, and most of those purposes had intense exercise requirements (ex...herding dogs were bred to work 75 miles at a trot every day of their lives). Leash walks are for you, so exercise the dog before you put the leash on. If you have a yard, fetch is a great way to do that. If you don't, food bowling in a hallway is another great way (with the dog's meals, stand in the center of the hallway. Throw a kibble down one direction, as the dog returns, pitch another kibble the other way. Let the dog build up some speed, it's the stopping and the turning that will tire them out). Then when the dog is exhausted, clip the leash on and do your leash training.

Generally I do not give an opinion regarding certain popular punishment based trainers, but I do suggest looking into potential consequences of using a punishment based method to train. Its not always pretty. There really are only 2 reasons that dog's don't comply, the first is that they don't understand. The second is that they do not have a strong enough reinforcement history in the situation you are asking them to perform in. Both of those are a handler's fault, and neither are fair to punish for. If you want to read some really great books about positive reinforcement training, check out Karen Pryor "Don't Shoot the Dog," or Patricia McConnell "The Other End of the Leash." There is also an entire page of references (both book and web pages) on the Wonder Dogs website. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM with more questions. I'm happy to help.

I also remind classes that leash walks are not a very good way to exercise a dog. All dogs were bred with a purpose, and most of those purposes had intense exercise requirements (ex...herding dogs were bred to work 75 miles at a trot every day of their lives). Leash walks are for you, so exercise the dog before you put the leash on. If you have a yard, fetch is a great way to do that. If you don't, food bowling in a hallway is another great way (with the dog's meals, stand in the center of the hallway. Throw a kibble down one direction, as the dog returns, pitch another kibble the other way. Let the dog build up some speed, it's the stopping and the turning that will tire them out). Then when the dog is exhausted, clip the leash on and do your leash training.

If you want to read some really great books about positive reinforcement training, check out Karen Pryor "Don't Shoot the Dog," or Patricia McConnell "The Other End of the Leash." There is also an entire page of references (both book and web pages) on the Wonder Dogs website. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM with more questions. I'm happy to help.

Excellent tip about exercising the dog before putting the leash on. You're the first trainer I have heard give that tip. My short legged corgi does fine on the leash without exercise. My short legs can't keep up with my long legged Shepherd's gait just at a simple walk but problem solved when I started taking him along side my bike. He and I are much happier! Before that I would take him to the park and throw the ball first before I would walk him.

Algae, Jess has quite a few contacts in the pet industry, including successfull AKC shower/dog breeder, as well as the, literally, best schutzhund dog trainer in the world, matter of fact, she lives about 15 minutes from us and trained both of our male pits. She'll find you someone down there in the Eugene area to go to that has multiple years experience dealing with Shepherds.

This is Shannon's website, she's extremely knowlegable, especially about Shepherds and other related breeds.

Our breeder/shower friend lives in Salem, but unfortunately Shannon lives in Washington lol.

We'll let you know when we hear back from our friend in Salem.