info on fugu puffer?

JimmyK

Hello All,

Does anyone have any experience keeping fugu puffers? I have found limilted info on them. The only thing that seems consistant is that they spawn in freshwater and then return to the ocean after spawing..

Any info would be great.

Thanks....

No photos, I don't have one. It actually looks somewhat like a baby snakehead. My neighbor keeps many freshwater tanks. He purchased one a few weeks ago. He did some quick research on a freshwater forum and spoke many times with the LFS. Once he brought it home it started going downhill. He started looking on a few Salt forums and found completely different info. It appears that a few people have had long term success keeping them in a completely salt environment. The photos I saw posted actually had them in a softie tank. We are thinking we might try and set-up a tank for him and slowly drip acclimate him to salt and see if the puffer shows somw signs of recovery.

I have ggogled and seem some articles and I think it is as described above where people eat it and hope they don't die. No cooking for me.....I will see if I can find the and link the you-tube video that I found of a few eating.

I've kept fugu's in brackish environments. They are really cool and smart, just like most puffers. Make sure you give him lots of caves to hide in or he'll get bored and sit in a corner all day. Also Fugu in japanese = puffer, so these arent necessarily the ones they eat for sushi.

Edit: Pretty much, don't lick it or let your dog eat it and you're safe.

Thanks all,

They have a 120 for him but we want to acclimate him in a small tank then transfer him over. They have been feeding him ghost shrimp and he does not seem to eat anything else. They have other puffers various tanks but this guy has been a challange for them...He is actually in a brackish environment now but thinking to elevate past brackish to salt. Very slowly with a drip/overflow over weeks. Stop the drip give time to adjust and stop if he seems to be doing better. Thanks again, appreciate all of the help and input. His acclimation tank will be a 20 gal then moved to the 120.

I am resisting the urge to lick..........