Anyone keep any Carpet Anemone's?

ReefSafari

Curious who all keeps Carpets here? We have had one for a while, along with its Clarki that is in total love with it. I would love see other peoples, so if you keep them, post pics of them...Would love to hear your experiences with them, the good bad and ugly...So far we have really enjoyed it, the only downsides I have encountered is they are big (when fully expanded) and carry a powerful sting (Very Sticky)...we have a 6-line wrasse that either thinks its a Clownfish or has a deathwish...or its just not the brightest 6-line wrasse in the world..lol(nutty) Its been stung at least a few times..but has always fully recovered no worse for ware...

Anway...Here is a pic..Its about the size of Basketball (12-14 inches) when fully out.

005-4.jpg

Ours is a Haddon's Carpet Anemone (Stichodactylla haddoni)...Anyone else keep Carpets?

• Like 1

I had one like that but it didn't do well in the tank and died (sad). It's my avatar.

Had trouble getting it to latch on to the rock my guess is because of the flow. I don't think lighting was a problem because we have 2 halides and 4 actinics.

I was not going to keep it in the reef tank because we have too many corals and the plan was to move it to the aggressive tank when it was up and running.

The ocellaris tried to get in it and it stung the crap out of it and it actually got stuck in it but we were right there to help get it out and she did fine. I was worried that another fish would get caught in it.(scary)

Was very cool though.

I had one like that but it didn't do well in the tank and died (sad). It's my avatar.

Had trouble getting it to latch on to the rock my guess is because of the flow. I don't think lighting was a problem because we have 2 halides and 4 actinics.

I was not going to keep it in the reef tank because we have too many corals and the plan was to move it to the aggressive tank when it was up and running.

The ocellaris tried to get in it and it stung the crap out of it and it actually got stuck in it but we were right there to help get it out and she did fine. I was worried that another fish would get caught in it.(scary)

Was very cool though.

Thats to bad,

Sorry about that...One thing I have learned is that if it was a Haddon's Carpet (AKA Saddle Anemone) they prefer to be in sandy bottom areas, I have heard they don't like to be on the rocks like many Anemone's do. They are fish killers though..I agree..We lost a Firefish and a few Blue/Green Chromis and quite a few cleanup crew crabs and snails. They are super sticky...and will stick to your hand even if you touch it.

Your right about the coral placement, I have to be careful what I put near it...what it lacks in long tenticles...it makes up for in Size...when fully open it takes up a BUNCH of space in the tank...And its grown quite a bit since we first got it..

Was yours sticky to the touch when you got it? I have heard mixted things about "Flow"...Many people have lots of flow near them...ours didn't seem to like it...I know there are other Carpets like the Stichodactyla gigantea that seem to like flow from what I have read/been told.

Glad your Clown made it, by some grace of god, our 6-Line has made it despite a couple of close encounters with it. One time I thought she was a goner...but to my suprise...survived...had some patches where she got stung..but they went away..and now she is totally fine.

I want to get one for my new tank when it's up but I have no room for one in this tank. I was thinking he would be a bottom placed one on the sand under some rock ledges. With what you were saying about the typical placement that sounds like a great spot now. I was hesitant before not knowing a lot about them.

We have one in our tank and its getting big. It tried to move the first day it was in the tank, but we adjusted the flow and it hasnt moves since. Our false percs wont host it. One of our clowns went in it once on accident and it looked like it was going to try to eat it. I feed it a few times a week, but I always make sure I try not to touch it while feeding. Its very sticky. Once my finger got stuck in it while feeding and it made my whole arm tingle.

Here it is when we first got it

3942894146_2d0aea6a96_o.jpg

And now

CarpetAnemone.jpg

Thats to bad,

Sorry about that...One thing I have learned is that if it was a Haddon's Carpet (AKA Saddle Anemone) they prefer to be in sandy bottom areas, I have heard they don't like to be on the rocks like many Anemone's do. They are fish killers though..I agree..We lost a Firefish and a few Blue/Green Chromis and quite a few cleanup crew crabs and snails. They are super sticky...and will stick to your hand even if you touch it.

Your right about the coral placement, I have to be careful what I put near it...what it lacks in long tenticles...it makes up for in Size...when fully open it takes up a BUNCH of space in the tank...And its grown quite a bit since we first got it..

Was yours sticky to the touch when you got it? I have heard mixted things about "Flow"...Many people have lots of flow near them...ours didn't seem to like it...I know there are other Carpets like the Stichodactyla gigantea that seem to like flow from what I have read/been told.

Glad your Clown made it, by some grace of god, our 6-Line has made it despite a couple of close encounters with it. One time I thought she was a goner...but to my suprise...survived...had some patches where she got stung..but they went away..and now she is totally fine.

The one we got was sticky to the touch and in good health. It was attached to a rock in the LFS. We did not want it attaching to the sandbed because I thought it would be harder to detach since the reef tank was not going to be its permanent home. It did take up an incredible amount of space and heaven help any poor coral frag that happened to fall in it.

I have have heard that they can be very sensitive so as cool as it would have looked in the aggressive tank, I don't think I'm going to get another one. It's just really sad for me to see something so beautiful die.

Ive got a red one I have had for about a year. It is a mover and a fish eater! It will settle in one spot for about 2-3 weeks, and then on to the next. I bought it when it was only about 3-4" and it is about 12" now. More than one fish have gone "missing" and I suspect the carpet to be the culprit. Here is a pick of mine, has become brighter brighter now that it is in the new tank under different lighting.

Redcarpet1of1.jpg

Ive got a red one I have had for about a year. It is a mover and a fish eater! It will settle in one spot for about 2-3 weeks, and then on to the next. I bought it when it was only about 3-4" and it is about 12" now. More than one fish have gone "missing" and I suspect the carpet to be the culprit. Here is a pick of mine, has become brighter brighter now that it is in the new tank under different lighting.

Redcarpet1of1.jpg

It's pretty darn close to your acans :eek: Does it ever sting your corals?