Buying Frags in Maui

shaywood

Frags of what ? IIRC, it is illegal to keep anything but fish in Hawaii.....and only the local fish at that....there's no importation of anything to the islands and I believe that it's also illegal to personally keep any local coral (soft or hard). You can understand why.....if an Indonesia wrasse is released in....let's say.....Kansas, there is no impact to the local environment.....but, releasing an alien critter in Honolau Bay on Maui....well, that's a problem.

Shay, here, check out this guy, I've talked to him in the past, and he's super cool, he'll hook you up, and he'll even ship them back to the states for you for a flat rate of 40 bucks for overnight shipping, can't be beat honestly, and he's also the same guy who started several of the hawaiian zoas, he's got beautiful stuff, and yeah, he's on Maui.

http://alohacorals.com/prestashop/

that's interesting....according to the state's website, it is illegal to collect.

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/coral_liverock.html

Looks like aquaculture may be OK ? I wasn't aware of it.

That was my undersatnding also, I've talked to the aquarium shop in Kona and he said you cannot take any live rock, the site does sasy you can take sand, rubble. reading further on the site it list the "Stony" corals that cannot be collected, so mabey they do allow some collection

He's the only licensed dealer and collector of coral on the island, one of his customer is dog the bounty hunter's son lelan or however you spell his name, super nice guy, aloha is that is, and very upfront and honest.

But, he is also allowed to ONLY collect zoanthids, all other collecting, according to him, of any stony corals an whatnot, is extremely illegal and they will hurt you over it.

Aloha PNWMAS,

Good 'ol Google Analytics brought me to this thread. :) I'm Kevin, I'm the owner of the place linked above. I just wanted to make a quick post to clear up a few things about the laws in my state.

Fish:

As long as the fish is not venomous or poisonous (i think they are one in the same) they are allowed in the state.

Non-Local Coral:

According to state law, you may not import any coral at all to the state. There is only one place able to do that and it is Waikiki Aquarium.

Local Coral:

You may not collect any coral from Hawaiian waters that is considered reef building.

You may collect Hawaiian Soft coral with a free permit, but at limited quantity.

Myself, I needed more licensing in order to collect, propagate, and sell for a commercial purpose.

Live Rock:

You can not collect live rock in Hawaii.

Live Sand:

One gallon per day per person. No permit needed.

Doesn't look like he has too much of a selection.

I am interested seeing what is coming spring.

Clay

Spring is going to bring in LPS and SPS, but not Hawaiian or even held in Hawaii. It will be housed in a Massachusetts facility I'm in the process of building for my father to operate.

Aloha,

Kevin

PS: Mods, please send me some sponsorship information. Mahalo.

So is it legal for me to go to Hawaii let's say in two weeks and harvest zoas and ship them back to the mainland?

With out a permit it would be illegal to collect anything. The permits are only open to Hawaii residents, so "by law" you would not be able to.

Kevin

Going to the islands!! Think of me when spending time perched on the tip!

Kevin!! Howzit brah!! Any Kaamainaa discounts? I'm from Maui, went to king kam III elementary and Lahainaluna!! Yeah, man!! Should be coming your way in July, well to Maui and ways!! And I have family that can get permits, ah, yeah!! Woohoo!!!

Clay

Kevin!! Howzit brah!! Any Kaamainaa discounts? I'm from Maui, went to king kam III elementary and Lahainaluna!! Yeah, man!! Should be coming your way in July, well to Maui and ways!! And I have family that can get permits, ah, yeah!! Woohoo!!!

Clay

Sorry i missed this. Got to set my subscription options.

I get over to Maui every now and again for business with my day job. Maui is beautifully, especially up-country.

Lahaina is cool too. Reminds me of New England where i was born and raised. I'll be over in Maui again in May. If you head over to Oahu, make sure you get in touch with me.

I paid/donated for sponsorship here a couple days ago. PNWMAS will get 10% off via coupon code. (Sort of Kama'aina) I'll set it up once my forum here is up. I am having a huge Aloha Friday sale this weekend. Since its my birthday weekend too livestock is 25%-35% off.

AC-Kevin