Hey you Zoa pros-need your expertise

reefnjunkie

So I am wanting to take my xacto knife and scalpel to these rocks and cut away all the zoos-

What are the consequences if I did this. I have no idea which is why I ask.

I know they are not toxic so I figure without gloves would be ok, most of the open cuts on my hands are healed besides I have a strong immune system-:eek:

On a serious note, I am sure I will be gloved, but I want to just scrape them off and use a turkey baster to suck out what ever floats and I cant scoop in the small net. I don't plan to save them, they are not going to be fragged unless I get lucky and get a nice scrap and they are in tact.

I am most concerned about the effects on my SPS and other corals. Will these release some toxin in the water as a defense that can kill or harm the other coral.

I CAN NOT remove the rock, this has to be done in the tank, and can be in small phases in needed, like a square inch or two at a time.

Last area I cleaned off the were decimated and there was no salvage.

Suggestions, ideas-help?

All the zoas below the birdnest (7 o'clock to 4 o'clock GONE-3 different types)

P1100321.jpg

Most of the zoas below the toadstool and a few to the left-this is about a month ago-the rock is unseen now (7 o'clock to 4 o'clock-gotta go)

P1100564.jpg

You got your work cut for you doing in the tank. It's back breaking work trying to get them off the rock in the tank. The more you tear em up the more nasty stuff gets in the water.

After your back hurts from bending over in the tank and you get as much off as you can stand to do. I would find stuff to cover over them and see if you can choke em out from the light.

Mostly it depends on how porous the rock is and if the Zoa's grow by a mat or them dumb little stringers.

Have fun because I am not helping

zoas are poisness i was fragging and touched my eye and it swelled up bad so use gloves and safety glasses

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87788

read this be carefull

I know Moto-my humor (or lack of) is dry-I was joking and know how bad they can be-and I have read that article as well asmany others saying the same-I can protect me, its the corals I am worried abut

My concern is what will happen to the corals in my tank as the cloudy crap mixes around

You got your work cut for you doing in the tank. It's back breaking work trying to get them off the rock in the tank. The more you tear em up the more nasty stuff gets in the water.

After your back hurts from bending over in the tank and you get as much off as you can stand to do. I would find stuff to cover over them and see if you can choke em out from the light.

Mostly it depends on how porous the rock is and if the Zoa's grow by a mat or them dumb little stringers.

Have fun because I am not helping

I did a piece that was about 2x2 inches-Key here, I am not saving them so I am not being gentle-its like dragging a chisel over them, scrape, cut , scrap, scrape, file, scrape, cut, stab, tear, rip, pull stab, scrape.

Not maybe in that order.

Thread title should read what will happen to my corals from all the crap that will be released, bled out, expelled, etc....

I have used a 3/8 hard plastic tube with teeth cut into one end. The other end into a siphon hose. Use the tube to dig, scrape, gouge(scratch), etc. The other end I run through a filter sock. I have never noticed any ill effects, but I usualy follow with a large water change.

Good Luck

Gabe

Thanks for the ideas so far, I have been wanting (researching) to add a carbon reactor-basically like my phos reactor, just carbon. I was going to do this awhile ago, and SWEAR I read somewhere carbon is bad and can be harmful, like it strips the water or something, it was a long time ago and I get on "reading" kicks and 2 few hours later my head is full of all theses threads-not good-DOH!

I'll mix up some water and do a change for the heck of it afterwards for security/peace of mind.

It will be a few weeks before I do this, after 7 weeks of F'n with a stupid Kalk reactor trying to get that synced up with my Ca reactor I finally threw in the towel aboiut 5 days ago and 1 dead 30K lokani-

this will be my first "tank free" weekend-I'm not touching it, but I will.

Thanks for the ideas so far, I have been wanting (researching) to add a carbon reactor-basically like my phos reactor, just carbon. I was going to do this awhile ago, and SWEAR I read somewhere carbon is bad and can be harmful, like it strips the water or something, it was a long time ago and I get on "reading" kicks and 2 few hours later my head is full of all theses threads-not good-DOH!

I read that too that too much carbon can filter out the good things but I noticed almost everyone runs carbon and so we have felt peer pressured into running it to. wanna stay in with the popular crowd ya know! We just ordered from brs where you can run both carbon and phosban in it. Grassi says it works great.

It will be a few weeks before I do this, after 7 weeks of F'n with a stupid Kalk reactor trying to get that synced up with my Ca reactor I finally threw in the towel aboiut 5 days ago and 1 dead 30K lokani-

Frank helped us with our kalk reactor and it seems to be working fine.

Good luck Brad.

Also maybe just have a 1/4" hose constantly siphoning that you can position nearby, so its constantly pulling sludge and you can move it at will...Low quality carbon is BAD in a reef tank, because it can leach silicates and phosphates into your water, but good quality carbon in a moderate amount shouldn't be harmful. Good luck!

I would be interested in seeing this!

Also maybe just have a 1/4" hose constantly siphoning that you can position nearby' date=' so its constantly pulling sludge and you can move it at will...Low quality carbon is BAD in a reef tank, because it can leach silicates and phosphates into your water, but good quality carbon in a moderate amount shouldn't be harmful. Good luck![/quote']

This is enough to make me do some serious research and open a few threads on differnt forums to get a larger amount of feedback/experiances.

HaHaa!.. how about a siphon into a filter sock (sump) and.....the underwater Dremel tool' date=' just start grinding and sucking it out, I demo'd it before, let me know i'd be glad to show you :D[/quote']

so do you have something that you are just calling a Dremmel? I googled underwater dremmel tool-nothing that showed a water proof dremmel.

I may just take you up on the offer if you have something like that-I could not imagine it taking more than 15-20 mins?

I'll shoot you a message later-I'm very curious as to what you are talking about(scratch)