Questions regarding a Peacock Mantis

mltnguyen

Good day all,

I have a few questions regarding a Peacock Mantis.

1. What is the optimal tank size? I know many say 10 gallon will do but is this really enough room for one to move around in?

2. How deep should the sand bed be?

3. Acrylic or glass? I have read so many saying glass will be fine and I have read so many that say DONT do it. What are your experiences?

4 Lastly, does anyone know of any good books or publications about these animals and their habitat?

Thanks in advance for your input

here is some info.

Good day all,

I have a few questions regarding a Peacock Mantis.

1. What is the optimal tank size? I know many say 10 gallon will do but is this really enough room for one to move around in?

10g is to small, I have my in a 40g breeder which is also a refugium for my display. 20g would be the smallest I would put one in.

2. How deep should the sand bed be?

5 in of fine sand, and some rock work. Then are great builders.

3. Acrylic or glass? I have read so many saying glass will be fine and I have read so many that say DONT do it. What are your experiences?

Glass is fine, mantis can't break it. People say they can, yet no one claimed it.

I allways had them I glass tanks with no problem.

4 Lastly, does anyone know of any good books or publications about these animals and their habitat?

I don't know any books, but you have access to the Internet which has more info.

Thanks in advance for your input

20 breeder is as small as I'd go, 40 would be better and a75g best.

Peacock can shatter glass - on a 10 gallon tank, because the glass is thin. This is very, very rare. That said, if you're worried, just put some starboard in the bottom and no worries. Anything over a 10g is safe.

Coral sand and lots of rubble is good, they need the rubble for building materials.

A good place for advice ( at the risk of pointing to another forum ) is Reef Central's mantis board. Dr. Roy Caldwell, who's been studing stomatopods for... geeze, I think about 30 years now? Is a forum frequenter. There's all kinds of advice on keeping them there. Do's as well as don'ts ( like don't use aeresol cleaners anywhere near the tank).

I'd advise checking it out.