New RO system and conditioner

Berger9953

I think this is a stupid question, but here it goes: I recently bought a new RO system and I was wondering if I still need to use water conditioner? Oh, and the rate at which the system makes pure water is about 1 gallon/hour. This is probably a little faster than it really is too. I hooked up the water line tube to the faucet, the water goes it, some drains out the restrictor tube, and then a drizzle comes out the pure water end. It takes absolutely forever for my 5 gallon bucket to fill up, it's about 1/16 full, and the RO has been on for about an hour! Could PNWMAS please help me??? Thanks in advance everyone!

Dido, ya dont need any conditioner, do you know the make and Gallons per day the unit is suposed to produce? It could even be a 35 GPD. Was is used? If you want it to produce more ya can get a 75 gallon per day membrane and restrictor from Air, Water and Ice for about $50.

No you don't need the conditioner, and this system must be a coralife one. It takes forever!! It is probably a 50GPD filter. What I would do is set up an ATO with this system. It will benefit you and your fish and your coral!!

Clay

ATOs rock!!! Once u get one u will wonder how u did without one. I just gave u a positive rep point clay since u can't seem to get over the neg one u got. How do u know u got a neg rep point?

you can, but then there's not point in using the filter. The RO membrane will strip a lot of dissolved solids from you main water and giving you cleaner water and the rest that didn't past through the membrane is out the waste. You can drink the waste water if you like or water plants or I've heard people use it for their laundry. Still cleaner than the orignal water. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have an RO, or an RODI?

The 35 gpd membrane is a better membrane for a drinking water system than for use in this hobby. The good news is that your membrane housing can handle an RO membrane with a higher capacity (e.g., 75 gpd).

What is your water pressure? The 150 gpd membranes need more pressure than the 100 gpd and below Filmtec membranes.

What people call "waste water" might better be thought of as "flush water," - its this water that flushes the membrane to keep it from scaling or fouling.

Russ @

Buckeye Field Supply

What is the ideal water pressure needed for the 150 GPD membrane?

The membrane is spec'ed at 65 psi - but nothing says that is ideal. The membrane (like others) will perform better at higher pressures. There are probably components in your system with a max working pressure of 100 psi - so if you have a good booster pump where you can control the pressure, keep it at 90 psi or less.

Russ