opinions on PCI octopus RPS-2000...looking to upgrade.

Guest Mbeef61

Guest Mbeef61

i have gotten the chance to pickup a brand new rps-2000 skimmer for about half the price as new....i wasnt really considering upgrading until i heard of this deal. i could get the 1000, or 3000 too but i thought the 2000 would fit my needs best.

is there anyone out there using these skimmers...what are your opinions.

have you done any of the mods i have seen for them and how was the increase...

also not looking for any other kind, just want opinions on this model....

thanks

Well on the 2000 at half the price, pick me up 2 please.!!!! on the recurlating models I don't think you need to mod. I am getting the 3000 for my new 210, and will get a 2000 for my other tank. They skim like crazy!!!, you will need to keep up on the collection tupe, keeping the junk clear to keep it flowing into collecion cup properly. The 1000 are to small IMO. A PCX-2400 would be a good feed pump, depending what your after in flow through.

Guest Mbeef61

i have read that these skimmer are recommended to have a flow rate of 1-1.5 times system volume per hour...but i see most people are doing much more...would high flow rate lose efficency or just skim wetter...or is that the same thing/

Higher flow rates screw up what you are trying to accomplish with a Recirc. Its disrupts the bubbles too much. I have had mine setup both ways. Once with a throttled back MJ600 w/ ball valve and now gravity fed w/ ball valve. I have to admit it is nice not having that MJ in the way. One less plug-in is nice too. I have a 1000 and I really like it. Its leftover from my 37G setup and I think I might upgrade to the 2000. It seems to be working really good on my setup though. Time will tell. I would recommend the Octopus skimmers though. Are you buying it used or new? I think new they sell around $300-$350 right? Later Ryan

I am looking to get rid of my RPS 2000. I think it does an OK job but I am going back to the tried and true Euro Reef, H&S or Deltec. I find that my skimmer does not pull the extraordinarily nasty stuff my old ER used to pull. For a lightly stocked tank I think it would be great. I would not use it on a BB tank or anything heavily stocked. My two cents.