Bleached Yuma

sharoleb

So I bought (won) a georgous yuma from ebay a little while ago. When I rec'd it it was mostly yellow and white, not the blue/purple/green I fell in love with. Several months go by, I tried to feed, dip and move around the tank a time or two. The poor little thing only gets smaller and smaller and whiter and whiter. Currently it's in sem-shade. Yesterday I took it out, dipped w/ phytoplankton for about 10 minutes, then dipped in TMPCC. I put it back in the tank, moving it over a couple inches to semi-shade. It has a touch of yellow on it now. I thought that shade was best for them when they are bleached. Should I move it to a much darker spot? I'm so sad. It will be very hard to justify future yuma purchases to my husband if this one dies (spent a lot of $$!)

Any thoughts? I can't post my params, don't even have a test kit right now - the inlaw snagged it - grrrrr. Everything else in the tank is great, green and orange yumas very happy. This has been going on since I bought it so I really don't think my water is the problem (knock on wood.) It is a 36bf w/ pc lighting.

Oh man do i feel your pain here. I bought one of the most beautiful rainbow yumas i had ever seen and am going thru exactly the same thing. Mine has been white for about 10 months now. I've tried EVERYTHING. I've given up now and just have it in low flow low light waiting for it to finally die.

Wish i could help, hopefully someone else chimes in with something we both haven't thought of.

This is mine in its glory days

100_2399.jpg

Yes, but for the life of me I can not get mysis OR brine to stick to it. I slowly turkey baste rod's food and/or phytoplankton at it, trying to feed it w/ just liquid stuff. That's why I dipped in phytoplankton yesterday, hoping it would help it absorb. I'll look tonight when I get home from work to see if it looks any different.

You could look at it with old school 3-D glasses? (the ones with one lens red, the other blue)

In reality...Bleaching or browning sometimes is the zoxanthella (sp?) going into overdrive and reproducing like crazy from having a lot of light. Maybe put it in a lower light section of the tank, or even in shade, for a few months to put their growth in check? How long have yours been in the shade? Also if you don't dose iodine (iodide), dosing it can really help soft corals color and grow...Although if your salt mix has enough iodine in it, water changes will help. Other than that, sell it on craigslist as an Tyree Ice White LE Yuma!

Update - I had the little bugger about mid-way up in the tank, shaded by some LR. Yesterday I put it down on the sand, and under where the cheato is, so it is under very filtered light.

~How often can you dip a coral w/ TMPCC? I did one dip last week, and it maybe looked a TINY bit better. I want to dip again but am not sure if it's overkill.

And to answer questions, I do dose iodine, one drop per week. And I've tried everything to get a mysis or brine to stick to the yuma, nothing works. I was thinking along the lines that maybe if I could get a little to stick it would heal itself much faster. No Go.