Drilling Glass

bswe22

Brian,if its that 10g sump...be very slow and no pressure! I heard people have built wooden supports inside to reduce the flex of the thin wall smaller tanks. Use a continueous water supply like a garden hose and have Algea help you. If you guys can do it after this weekend, I can or will help you too. What about a tank drill demonstation next Saturday for the meet n greet?

Ps...I have wood, the 2x4 kind!

• Like 1

Here is a quote from Garrett:

"Thanks! I think it will be nicer in ways for sure. The problem that I have had thus far is how thin and fragile the 10g tanks are. They are cheap, so replacing them isn't expensive I just worry about them breaking during circulation and with livestock in them. I don't think it will be a problem, but if any break once I start filling them up, I will likely take them all out and just stick with thicker glass tanks like the 20l and 20h. I think I have a total break count of 6 tanks now. 3 from drilling and 3 from plumbing and bulkheads being too tight. My dad helped me and didn't quite understand how fragile they were until he had broken a few lol. Overall though I really like being able to have seperate tanks."

And the thread:

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11205&highlight=drill&page=5

How hard is it to build your own tank? Do you have the pieces precut and then just glue them together?

I am thinking of modifying the stand to accommodate a 20 gallon long. I will have to move the center brace in the back and it will have to be extended out about 3 inches.

Bryan

Tap is a plastics supply store in Portland. I remember they used to sell resin for way overpriced amounts. Course we were buying by 1,000 gallons at a pop.

We have Multi-Craft on Madison down here for acrylic. They give you a lecture if you say plexiglass. So it is fun to say plexiglass to them.

I did the drilling successfully one but then broke it with the bulk head so be careful even after the drilling

I have changed my plans. I am going to alter the stand a little bit so I can fit a 20 gallon long tank in it. I will then have enough room for a submersiable pump and not have to drill the tank at all. I am still going to drill the 38 gallon display tank.

Bryan