Suggestion for Speaker

7Max-GTE

I used to be active in the Las Vegas Valley Reefers, which is the local club where I am from. Frank Burr (president of IMAC-West, owner Tropical Reef Oasis, author Quarantine for Reef System) was our club Vice President, and came to most of the meetings. I was always impressed by his presentations, and he also usually brought some frags from his store for raffle. He seemed to me to be a very important asset to that club, and I was wondering if anyone had dealt with him before, or considered having him speak at one of our meetings?

Thanks for the suggestion. We have considered Anthony Calfo, Matt Wittenrich, Matthew Pederson, and a few others. Mostly it is just an issue of what their fees are and coordinating schedules. We will discuss this also. There should be money in the club to possibly bring in one or 2 speakers this year.

Since I have been involved with the club we have brought in Eric Bourneman, Bob Fenner, Randy Reed, and Scott Fellman.

Dave

I emailed him a while back when I was trying to get a copy of his book. He said that he normally doesn't plan trips up north, but it wasn't out of the question either. I don't know what he charges to speak, but I do know he was at most of the meetings in Vegas, and the club there was smaller than here. I just wanted to throw his name out, because I was very impressed by him. Thanks for the consideration!

A couple more to consider would be. Jake Adams (he speaks on water flow in a reef tank) and James Fatherree (He is the author of one of the clam books on the market as well as a talk about lighting in reef tanks)

I saw both of them last fall at a conference in Richland. Both would be good options for the club. Matt Pedersons speech was on Captive Breeding and Rearing in the aquarium industry. Matt is also the Co-Founder of MOFIB and was named the marine aquarist of the year last year as he is the first person in the world to captively breed the harlequin filefish. It may be tough to get Matt this year as his wife is expecting their first baby this summer but his talk is excellent also. It puts a lot of things into perspective about the aquarium industry regarding fish and rearing vs. breeding.

Dave

I think the club should look into any "connections" that memebers have with potential speakers.

Never know might be able to get a speaker for a smaller fee if they know someone in the club. Save the club money and yet get a speaker...... sounds like a win, win or us!

Just my $.02!

I don't understand why we have not tapped Mark Hixon at OSU. Here is a blurb.

One of OSU’s scientists involved in studies of coral reef ecology, Mark Hixon, was also cited as the leading expert in the Western Hemisphere and third in the world, based on journal publications that were most often cited for their scientific significance. Overall, OSU coral reef research programs ranked sixth in the U.S. and eighth globally.

Mark's Bio page and contact info:

http://people.oregonstate.edu/~hixonm/index.htm

Jay

I don't understand why we have not tapped Mark Hixon at OSU. Here is a blurb.

One of OSU’s scientists involved in studies of coral reef ecology, Mark Hixon, was also cited as the leading expert in the Western Hemisphere and third in the world, based on journal publications that were most often cited for their scientific significance. Overall, OSU coral reef research programs ranked sixth in the U.S. and eighth globally.

Mark's Bio page and contact info:

http://people.oregonstate.edu/~hixonm/index.htm

Jay

Maybe we can use Dr. Tim Miller-Morgan to help get ahold of him.

Since the club has a relationship with him and the OCA. As well as having been lectured by Tim in the past.