Kim and Beth's 150gal FOWLR tank

tanktop74

This is the tank the forum help build! We have been working on putting this tank together for the last 3 weeks. It has been a blast and we have met a lot of cool people along the way. Kim is Emerald525, for those that don't know....

We wanted to try a glass tank, found this on craigslist.

Here is the stand refinished by the crew at Seahorse.(rock2) Woody's team did an awesome job on the canopy and stand, it looks brand new. Re-wired everything in the hood to make sure it was all safe. We are running 4 VHO super white actinics (for now) and one 250 watt MH.

IMG_0411.jpg

The used tank came with a 10gal glass tank they used for a sump. Here is the custom built sump made by Dave at Davey Jones Locker. He made it in record time so that I could get this together quick! He did an amazing job!(rock2)

IMG_0412.jpg

The kick a$$ protein skimmer is an ATI bubble master 200 (drooler) which we bought used from Joel (Waves). It barely fits in the sump and stand!!

IMG_0413.jpg

Plumbing I did myself with the guidance of Woody at Seahorse. Completed it in a few hours.(clap)

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

The tank came with about a 100lbs of rock. And we bought 45lbs more from Alex (Grassi) for a great price! He even let us borrow an extra pump to circulate water while we finished setting up the tank.(rock2)

IMG_0414.jpg

So, I had to put my swimsuit on to rearrange the rock, as you can see it is a tall tank (31 inches). Which is 1/2 my overall height!(laugh)

IMG_0431.jpg

We bought the overflow from Alex (Grassi), again for a great price!!(rock2) It is a CPR dual overflow that hangs on the back of the tank.... because I was not brave enough to have someone drill it... afraid(scary).

IMG_0429.jpg

Here is a look at the rock with lighting.

IMG_0430.jpg

Tonight my daughter and I put a blue backing on the tank, can't see the wires the plumbing anymore!!(clap)

IMG_0447.jpg

Sand will go in this weekend and the waiting begins! Let the cycling start!

That's a lot of light for a FOWLR... you could get by with just a couple of the VHO's' date=' I think. Looks like a fun project.[/quote']

It was originally set up for corals and that's the lighting it came with. We decided to leave it because the tank is so tall. We also want to eventually get a rbta for this tank down the road.

I dont think I would restrict the intake on your return pump. Regulate the flow with the ouput valve but leave the intake all the way open. It is hard on the pump to restrict the intake. Tank looks nice.

Dennis

Thanks for the info, I think that pic was taken in the set up process, the intake is no longer restricting flow.

Beth

• 2 months later...

Here's some updated pictures! It's not a FOWLR anymore. That lasted all of one week! we have some softies and LPS in there now!(laugh)

Pictures of some fish we got these all from Isaac (TCM) and they are all doing great!:

Stars and stripes puffer. No he's not puffed up.. he's just fat!(laugh)

DSC04987ARW.jpg

DSC04986ARW.jpg

Formosa wrasse juvenille. Really smart fish!(clap)

DSC04993ARW.jpg

And my favorite! The baby clown trigger!:D

Check out those teeth!(scary)

DSC04990ARW.jpg

DSC04988ARW.jpg

• 2 weeks later...