DIY Chiller

JonBoy

why not just go buy one. The money you save in material will just go towards electricity in running the fridge. Unless you use same quality material as the non-DIY chiller, the efficency of the system will be less. To me, it almost like trying to make ice cubes in your refrigerator in the same amount of time as a freezer. :) Just my thought.

Depending on size, you should be able to pick up a used chiller for $150-$200. I know, 'cause I have picked up chillers for that price. If you want to chill a 20 to 30 gallon tank, the fridge idea might work, anything larger and it won't be very efficient. I think a fan or two over your sump or display will be more efficent than a DIY fridge chiller.

I tried the dorm fridge last summer, it all depends on the temp difference for example if your house temp is a few degrees above tank temp it "Might" work. anything more and it will burn up the fridge as they are not made to run continuously. There is a good article on RC on why it wont work. Mine did not work, the garage temp was to high I ended up buying a used chiller

Ya but dosn't a minny fridge cost about the same? sure ya can get one of craigslist for cheep but ya also can get a freezer for cheep aswell, the $150 I said was for a brand new one. Plus if your talking new, what size chiller can ya get for $150 and how big of tank will it chill? I know ya can get a 1/4 horse used off craigslist for arround $150 but then ya run the risk of it not working or failing shortly after you buy it. I beleave that there are things ya buy used and things ya need to buy new. If ya buy a used skimmer for $150 and the pump goes out ya just get a new pump, but if ya spend $150 on a chiller and it stops chillen then ya might as well go buy a new one because if ya need to fix it ya need to send it out to be fixed and that could mount up to being more than a new one. JMO :)