Disassemble??

Gabe

Has anyone ever taken apart a glass aquarium? I have an old AGA 55 that is 3/8". I want to try building a cube, and this seems like a good place to get some cheap glass.(nutty) The plastic frame came off easy enough, and the silicone in the corners also. Just not sure how to get the silicone out of the seams.(scratch)

Thanks

Gabe

chips would mean it is probably not tempered. If it was tempered, a chip could mean that the whole pane would be in pieces.

Look for a sticker in the bottom that labels what sides are tempered. If it is AGA, then it probably only has a tempered bottom.

try a razor blade (utility knife) down the seam. It will be slow going, and be careful or you can cut yourself or crack the glass.

dsoz

A little brainstorming at work today came up with the idea of using string or something to cut through the silicone. Experimented after work with some thread, dental floss, and fishing line. The winner was 6# test Trilene Ultraclear(laugh). Took about 10 min. to remove one end panel.

I like the guitar string idea, but no guitars here.

Thanks again guys!

Gabe

Can't you check if its tempered with a pair of polarized glasses also? I think it was non-tempered glass will still be transparent when you turn the glasses 90 degrees. If the glass is black when you turn the glasses 90 degrees, it's tempered...Most of the time on smaller tanks (sub-100g) only the bottom panel is tempered. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...