Considering a new tank.

drock59

My wife has given me the ok to start plans on a new bigger tank. Let the games begin.

I currently have a 75 RR and I am looking at something in the neighborhood of 150 gallons, give or take 20 gallons.

I would like the new tank to use most of the same equipment I have now. Mainly the lights. Two Reef Optix III, 250w.

It seems this would limit me to a 4 footer, which is not all that bad, although 6ft would be nice too.

Im looking for something with significantly more depth than my current 75, with only 18 of depth. Also, I would really like to get something big enough to house some of the larger tangs, but not sure if that is possible with a 4 foot tank.

Glass or acrylic?

Center or corner overflow?

Recommendations and opinions welcome.

I have a 120 acrylic and if I were to do it again I would go with glass. The tank is 48x24x24, which is a nice depth. I have a center overflow, whick I don like, because it is so prominate in the aquascaping. I would have to have it on the side or one of those coast to coast types. I really like the depth and height of this tank, I think my next one will be one of those 210 all glass tanks.

I have a 120 acrylic and if I were to do it again I would go with glass. The tank is 48x24x24' date=' which is a nice depth. I have a center overflow, whick I don like, because it is so prominate in the aquascaping. I would have to have it on the side or one of those coast to coast types. I really like the depth and height of this tank, I think my next one will be one of those 210 all glass tanks.[/quote']

Beat ya to it. My new 210 is in the garage sitting on it's palllet, waiting for me to get on it!!!!!

I would go with 6 foot minimum by 24"; just from my experience. I have a 125 6'x 18" reef and a 55 for cichlids too. Hard to work with 18"..though much better than 12". Don't care for 55's at all now that I have a bigger tank :). I would greatly think of future fish you may want to have which can greatly impact the size you go for...rock and coral formation too of course. If I had the right house, I'd do something like Izzypop is doing for his upgrade system. (drooler). In wall would be nice if it's in a place you can view all the time; my garage is not close for in-wall, but we love to drool on the couch, resting our heads on the back with a pillow and watching the marine life with background music. Less TV watching since setup :)

Here's a 150 gallon for $150 on CL today! Don't know dimensions.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/for/236862636.html

when I had my 120 I loved the 6' length, but not the 18 inches front to back. I also really like the tall tanks. When I get my dream reef tank it's going to be at least 30" top to bottom. You've got long arms so you could pull off a 30" tank. I'd go for a 180, but if you like the tall tanks just like me, go with the 210 (or something like that). Just save the 75 for a refugium or frag tank. That way you have the sand filtration, yet the BB that you love.