Atlantic Cherub angel in a 20 gallon reef??

Berger9953

What does PNWMAS think about having an Atlantic Cherub dwarf angel in a 20 gallon reef tank? I have known people that had them in 10gallon FO tanks, and they did great(suprisingly). And others who kept them in 30 gallon reefs and they also did great. I have read that I could keep it in a 20 gallon reef, I have plenty of rocks for it to graze on and many holes for it to swim through. I'm a bit sceptecal though because I had a bi-color angel and it died from ich although it did seem happy and fine, but it seems like it had it coming in my tank without me knowing...(scratch)

:D Thank you all in advance!!!

I personally wouldn't have the LFS QT the fish.

A QT tank would cost about $30:

10gal tank at walmart - $10

powerhead - $10

heater - $10

You could probably get those things used for half that. Basically a QT tank will help ensure that the fish will be healthy and live a long life. You've already seen what ich can do. I am willing to guess a QT would cost less than the fish you are buying.

Whichever way you go, good luck! :)

You don't have any old powerheads laying around? I think i must have at least 5. Also LFS often sell used ones, might give yours a ring and ask.

But if not:

Here is a HOB filter that would work in place of the powerhead. He is asking $10

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17507

Here is an entire setup including a stand for $30

http://bend.craigslist.org/for/1610115387.html

Here is another entire setup for $30

http://bend.craigslist.org/for/1593535548.html

I think the powerheads at walmart are around 10-15 bucks.

I do have a a couple of old ext pwer filts, maybe that would count for the flow?? They're for a 20g, but I think it would be fine right?? So I think I will tanke your original advice and just get a 10g tank and a small heater at walmart and put those up, it sounds really simple. I have some fw decor from when I had a fw tank. What do you think???:)

I would not use the biowheel or any other filtration. Its not going to be in use long enough to be useful, and the biowheels aren't recommended for SW anyway. Some carbon wouldn't hurt unless you are dosing meds.

I would take water from your display when you do a water change and fill the QT with it. Slap on the HOB filter(s) and heater and acclimate the fish. Then add the fish to the tank and monitor it for a few weeks. Each week i'd do a WC on the display tank and use that water to change out the water in the QT. This of course depends on you being 100% certain your display does not have any sort of disease ie ich has not been present on any fish for many months or they were treated before they were added to the tank.