Hitchhiker crabs - will it ever end?

markdadof2

OK, so my cube has been set up for about 8 - 9 months now. I have not introduced any live rock....but I keep finding new crabs in there - hitchhikers.

I already killed a gorilla crab - there is one other hairy ugly crab that I see frequently, but he is too fast to spear. I found a nice porcelain crab - a red crab (which is supposed to be a good algae eater I red), and just today I found a small white crab on the gravel. when I flashed the light on him he went to the rocks and kinda wedged between the rock and sand - and it looks like he buried himself.

I wonder how many dang crabs are in there that I have NOT seen. Anyone else had this happen to them? I need to research the white crab to see what he may be - good or bad!

Saltnfinsax - I have about 5 million hiding places for these critters. I have found most of them at night with a flashlight, but the guy today came out at feeding time. He is only maybe .30" wide - so pretty dang small.

Kevin - you SLACKER - I'll have to give you some of these bad hairy crabs :)

I've been fortunate as well for hitchhikers....let's see what have I gotten? I've gottena nice 4" (leg to leg) chocolate brittle star(thanks Brandon), a small reef safe lobster(thanks Tim), zoas, snails, some kind of monti, ricordia, and some Kenya trees(Tim). Fortunately nothing bad yet!! I bought one of those colonies from Tim at Westside and he noticed a small unknown type of crab wedged inside the one I was going to buy and he asked me if I wanted him? I said hell NO! I don't like unknowns in my tank!!! LOL

Jason - get a long metal BBQ skewer - that is how I speared my first gorilla crab. What an ugly critter. I have what I THINK is another gorilla crab but this guy is freaking fast and skittish.

Eric - I have added a few corals recently but I ALWAYS coral wash them before introducing into my tank. I imagine one may have survived the coral dip.

Kevin - you SLACKER - I'll have to give you some of these bad hairy crabs :)

Sorry Mark, I'm flattered but I don't swing that way . . . (laugh)(laugh)(naughty)(naughty)(rock2)

Some crabs are pretty cool, I'd like to get a nano tank and a decorator crab for my desk at work. They're just cool.

Jason - get a long metal BBQ skewer - that is how I speared my first gorilla crab. What an ugly critter. I have what I THINK is another gorilla crab but this guy is freaking fast and skittish.

Eric - I have added a few corals recently but I ALWAYS coral wash them before introducing into my tank. I imagine one may have survived the coral dip.

I have one and a week ago i saw him on the top of my tank, out in the open so i grabbed my skewer and stababed him several times but it wouldn't go through shell so i tried to pin him against the rock and take the rock out and all was going good until i got infront of the vortech and then he blew off! little SOB! lol

Let's just say I have a lot of hiding places for these crabs - my base rock is 34 lbs - and I have two others that are about 20-25 lbs each. - tons of hiding holes and such for the critters. This is the Rock that Joel at waves ordered in for me....the nicest rock I have seen yet to date in my humble opinion.

Now I wonder how many I have that I have NOT seen. On any given weekend night you can find me 'hunting' crabs at about 1:30 am. I think the family is gettinga bit worried about me. :)