t5 vs compact or vho

bobkat330

PC are slightly more efficient' date=' T5 have slightly better spectrum, VHO will give you the most power for a given length but are the least efficient of the 3, of course you will be buying less bulbs so it would probably balance out.[/quote']

Why do you consider PC's more efficent then T5's?

ive used all 3 of these and found that my pc's never lasted as long, plus about 60% of them cracked at the joint union. had excellent success with vho and t-5. i like to try new things, so i switched when i noticed pc bulbs becoming more difficult to find. vho's were very good to me, yet i decided to switch to t-5, used my same icecap ballasts to overdrive my t-5 bulbs apun seeing you get a 10% increase in par and lumens, but again the bad news was that t-5 bulbs didnt last quite as long from the heat and overdriving them.(minimal) i like the color options from t-5 bulbs. the highly coveted 454vho color(gas) is now available in t-5 from uvi.even in 24" length, also the ati blue-plus is becoming a big hit among t-5 only and t-5/ halide combo tanks. you cant go wrong with vho or t-5 whatsoever. it may take you some time to get a good bulb combo to aquire the color in your tank you desire. the white bulb may make your tank too white or yellow. you can also try a pink(its actaully pink/white) or the uvi actinic white in place and you will get excellent green pop and red pop. try it only if your not happy with your original combo.

hope this helps.

To be honest with you I can't imagine you needing more light then a 150w over the top of a 29g and you could choose from a spectrum of colors and brands. Unless you are just looking run a spread lighting cycle with them, in which case I would suggest t5's simply because you can buy a wider array of light spectrum's and they are more reliable then PC, and smaller and more compact then VHO. I would say that if you were running a 10k metal halide and 2 actinic t5's that you would have more then enough light

I would agree with the t5 crowd. Lots of output, very little heat, many color choices, lasts longer than pc, mh, (not sure about vho).

I have 6 on a 55g; 2-deep blue, 2-460 actinic, 1-10K, 1-Indigo sun (kind of lavender). sps, lps, zoas, other softies. Everything grows, and looks great.