Any cool Pocilloporas?

JasonH

Are there any really nice Pocillopora corals? The ones that I've seen are pretty plain.

I know this is a bit backwards, but there is a really cool pocillopora crab that I would love to have, but don't see any pocilloporas that I'd want to put in my tank.

Anyone think a pocillopora crab would host a stylophora or a birdsnest?

Check this bad boy out (photobucket is acting up, so here's a link):

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+4&ddid=80990

I have a green pocillopora in my tank and I love it. It's indestructible. No matter what goes wrong.. no matter how my levels are out of whack, how high my nitrates are, how dim my bulbs get... I know I can rely on my pocillopora to greet me with excellent, fuzzy PE. It's the wag-tailed dog of the aquarium. Don't be hating on my ugly pocillopora.

lol - okay, the world needs ugly pocilloporas, too. Well, maybe if it can live in lower light, it would make a good lower tank coral - in an area I wouldn't have a really colorful coral anyway.

I'm just hoping that there might actually be a really nice poci out there that I just haven't seen.

I have a green pocillopora in my tank and I love it. It's indestructible. No matter what goes wrong.. no matter how my levels are out of whack' date=' how high my nitrates are, how dim my bulbs get... I know I can rely on my pocillopora to greet me with excellent, fuzzy PE. It's the wag-tailed dog of the aquarium. Don't be hating on my ugly pocillopora.[/quote']

You sound like one hell of a reef keeper Andy!(laugh)

Thanks for the feedback. Doing a little research on-line, I read several comments from people saying that poci's have a tendency to grow out of control (like zoos). Meaning that they spread and start to pop up all over the tank. You don't typically hear about that with SPS, and I think it would be easier to control. I just don't want to invite any headaches.

Anyone have this experience?

Thanks for the feedback. Doing a little research on-line, I read several comments from people saying that poci's have a tendency to grow out of control (like zoos). Meaning that they spread and start to pop up all over the tank. You don't typically hear about that with SPS, and I think it would be easier to control. I just don't want to invite any headaches.

Yep Yep ask Travis at upscales about it his big cube had it happen

I had that happen with a stylo before, but nothing like that with my pocillopora. I've had it for about 8 or 9 months.

lol ... I think that most anemone's are a big pain in the ... none the less I think that the relationship w/ clowns is pretty darn cool. Point being I would put a dingy coral in my tank if I really liked the crab. I also think that some of the pocillopora are at least OK looking, good coloring even if I'm not impressed with the structure.

Abstract from an article about crabs and stony corals :

Stony corals are the foundation of coral reef ecosystems and form associations with other reef species. Many of these associations may be ecologically important and play a role in maintaining the health and diversity of reef systems, rendering it critical to understand the influence of symbiotic organisms in mediating responses to perturbation. This study demonstrates the importance of an association with trapeziid crabs in reducing adverse effects of sediments deposited on corals. In a field experiment, mortality rates of two species of branching corals were significantly lowered by the presence of crabs. All outplanted corals with crabs survived whereas 45–80% of corals without crabs died within a month. For surviving corals that lacked crabs, growth was slower and tissue bleaching and sediment load were higher. Laboratory experiments revealed that corals with crabs shed substantially more of the sediments deposited on coral surfaces, but also that crabs were most effective at removing grain sizes that were most damaging to coral tissues. The mechanism underlying this symbiotic relationship has not been recognized previously, and its role in maintaining coral health is likely to become even more critical as reefs worldwide experience increasing sedimentation.

...I can see if I can find the article through the school library if anyone is terribly interested